New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Interested In A Bit Of Fun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed I find most the factory bullets today slightly undersized. Remember when Speer use to sell those 308 match bullets from Lapua that were .309?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I hope not but I think you might get fowling with the close to .300 diameters. I think all the others will work. I'm sure you have read P O Ackley's results firing 8MM-06 in what was a 30-06. said it worked very well. Saeed the neck tension test very interesting. Thankyou"

I would suggest if you take P.O. Ackley seriously on what you thought he said I would suggest you not place you head up against the receiver Firing an 8MM round in a 30/06 chamber will render the receiver scrap.

Especially if the round chambered in the 30/06 chamber is an 8MM06. I could say "think about it" but I have had from little to no success in that department.

The first thing to go is the case head, the flash hole increases in diameter, the primer pocket will increase to a dimeter that will allow the primer to fall out the bottom of the receiver and the case head will increase in diameter by .080" plus. And then it gets complicated.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my opinion there were no down sides to that arrangement.

I suggest you do not get into a discussion about head space when dealing with 8mm06 when chambering an 8mm57 in the 8mm06 chamber.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F. Guffey:
"I hope not but I think you might get fowling with the close to .300 diameters. I think all the others will work. I'm sure you have read P O Ackley's results firing 8MM-06 in what was a 30-06. said it worked very well. Saeed the neck tension test very interesting. Thankyou"

I would suggest if you take P.O. Ackley seriously on what you thought he said I would suggest you not place you head up against the receiver Firing an 8MM round in a 30/06 chamber will render the receiver scrap.

Especially if the round chambered in the 30/06 chamber is an 8MM06. I could say "think about it" but I have had from little to no success in that department.

The first thing to go is the case head, the flash hole increases in diameter, the primer pocket will increase to a dimeter that will allow the primer to fall out the bottom of the receiver and the case head will increase in diameter by .080" plus. And then it gets complicated.

F. Guffey

Hatcher believed some of the 1903 Springfield blow ups were due to the soldier firing 8x57 ammo in them.

Listen to this one. Run into a friend and his son deer hunting. The boy harvested a nice buck. He said the rifle he used kicked like hell. I noticed it was a military 98 Mauser. I asked what ammo he was using and he reached in his pocket and pulled out a handful of 35 Remingtons!!!! WOW!!! When I got home I tried a 35 Remington in my 98 Mauser and with the right weight bullet and configuration the damn thing fit!! Luckily it didn't harm him or the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Fri, 06 Mar 2020 08:47:11 GMT-0800', '06 March 2020 20:47')+'</nobr>');06 March 2020 19:4706 March 2020 20:47Hide Postquote:Originally posted by F. Guffey:"I hope not but I think you might get fowling with the close to .300 diameters. I think all the others will work. I'm sure you have read P O Ackley's results firing 8MM-06 in what was a 30-06. said it worked very well. Saeed the neck tension test very interesting. Thankyou"I would suggest if you take P.O. Ackley seriously on what you thought he said I would suggest you not place you head up against the receiver Firing an 8MM round in a 30/06 chamber will render the receiver scrap. Especially if the round chambered in the 30/06 chamber is an 8MM06. I could say "think about it" but I have had from little to no success in that department.The first thing to go is the case head, the flash hole increases in diameter, the primer pocket will increase to a dimeter that will allow the primer to fall out the bottom of the receiver and the case head will increase in diameter by .080" plus. And then it gets complicated. F. Guffey Hatcher believed some of the 1903 Springfield blow ups were due to the soldier firing 8x57 ammo in them.Listen to this one. Run into a friend and his son deer hunting. The boy harvested a nice buck. He said the rifle he used kicked like hell. I noticed it was a military 98 Mauser. I asked what ammo he was using and he reached in his pocket and pulled out a handful of 35 Remingtons!!!! WOW!!! When I got home I tried a 35 Remington in my 98 Mauser and with the right weight bullet and configuration the damn thing fit!! Luckily it didn't harm him or the rifle.

A North Texas gun smith was asked to fix a rifle; the shooter that asked for repairs did not own the rifle. He offered to 'zero' the rifle for a friend. Problem, he purchased 308 W ammo for a 25/06. The rifle should have blown up. As other smith were imagining how long the bullet was when it left the barrel I asked them to think about it. I suggested they walk the range, I do not believe they would have found a long skinny bullet. One of the smiths walked the range after building a rifle, he retrieved his barrel, I thought it was a blessing, his receiver opened up like a trumpet. His rifle, his reloads, he had it figured out before he got to the barrel.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am out of the country right now.

And all this has given me an idea.

Years ago I expanded the mouth of a 357 Magnum case, and loaded it with a 44 magnum bullet.

I did this to give to an idiot who pretended to know everything about guns and ammo.

I left that round lying on my bench, and he saw it, and asked what it was.

I snatched it from his hands, and said he should forget that he ever saw that.

He kept asking, and promised to never tell anyone.

I told him it was the new round developed for underwater warfare!

He believed me.

When I get back, I will make bullets that are thicker than the caliber loaded in - like a 338 nose part loaded in a 308!

Bloody hell, the possibilities are endless!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"When I get back, I will make bullets that are thicker than the caliber loaded in - like a 338 nose part loaded in a 308!

Bloody hell, the possibilities are endless!"

Yes, start with the round and then design a rifle. We have so many reloaders that are shoving the shoulder back placing a flange in front of the case body should not be a problem with a screw on barrel.

F. Guffey

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Why not repeat the 30 caliber tests with copper bullets.
Going to the 280 did not give anything to compare with and you already collected some nice 30 caliber data.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Why not repeat the 30 caliber tests with copper bullets.
Going to the 280 did not give anything to compare with and you already collected some nice 30 caliber data.

We will.

Sadly, the bloody Chinese has put a dent in that.

I was going to make the bullets and let my friend Roy Vincent shoot the test when he comes here in late April.

That is off of course, so I am busy with other projects.

But will do it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote