THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How to clean out stubborn residue in primer pockets?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to clean out stubborn residue in primer pockets?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I came across a big bag of .38 cal brass from my father in law. I'm guessing a few thousand cases. Probably been bagged over twenty years ago, easily.
After shouting "Eureka!" I tried to size and deprime a few cases.
To my surprise, I ran into trouble.
It's almost like the primers were glued in, I am having trouble getting the primers to pop out cleanly. It seems like the outside "skin" of the primer is sticking in the primer pocket.
I tried priming some of the ones that looked pretty clean, with mixed results: some easily took a new primer and others had enough "stuff" in the pocket, that the new primer would not seat, and it is a pain in the neck to get a case out of the shell holder, when the primer is still protruding. Enough of a pain to send a guy to the internet for help.
Anybody experience this before? Is there a tool or device to aggressively clean out the pocket?
I want to do all I can to salvage this amount of brass.
Thank you,
Rich
Tried depriving on two different presses: same results.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
On the cheap and easy try cleaning them in IOSSO brass cleaner for 5 minutes

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they have corroded with age. Once you get the primer out you can clean the pockets with a primer pocket uniforming tool sold by Hornady , Brownells and RCBS. Check out the different reloading supply house stores and they will carry various brand tools.

Posts: 47 | Location: East Coast USA | Registered: 06 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center. It comes with primer pocket brushes for both large and small primer pockets. I add the RCBS primer pocket uniforming tool. I also add a flash hole debuting tool. Uniforming the priming pocket and debuting the flash hole need only be done once. The primer pocket brush is a metal brush that is installed into one of the rotating points and easily cleans gunk from the primer pockets.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could some of them be military brass with primers crimps.

Posts: 19344 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good replies, thank you.
No, not military, I think just old and corroded. I am starting to think my father in law didn't know what to do with these either, and just left them in a big bag.
Eagle Dad, I just watched vids on that RCBS Case Prep Center: Looks great. I think I will make this a winter project.
Thanks for all the replies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my case prep center. I run all my new brass across the stations. I uniform all my primer pockets then hit the primer pocket brush, then uniform and deburr my flash hole. After trimming I chamfer and deburr the case mouth. Fired brass gets the primer pockets cleaned. Then trim, chamfer, and deburr as needed. Makes for nice uniform loads.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Tumbling with SS pins!
2min. of manual work for hundreds of super clean cases.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tumbling with SS pins!
2min. of manual work for hundreds of super clean cases.

+1

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can you clarify "SS pins"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SS = stainless steel.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rlabom:

Wet roll tumbling in soapy/citric acid water and short proprietary pins made of stainless steel

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
quote:
IOSSO brass cleaner

SS media is why I deprime and then reprime off the press.
It's more work but I'm not doing thousands per month either.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a small rounded screwdriver works as well as anything. I say rounded shaft as it doesn't work on the sides of a case..I use a S&W screwdriver..keep the edge flat and sharp. I know, Im a curmudgeon!! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I use the carbide cutter on a drill from Sinclair. Still on the same cutter about 20 years later.

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Pocket depth uniforming tool.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by rlabom:

Wet roll tumbling in soapy/citric acid water and short proprietary pins made of stainless steel

I've run probably 20,000 cases, rifle & pistol through this system & the pluses far outweigh the negatives.
Cases, both inside & out & including primer pockets come out looking like new.
I'll not go back to walnut media & vibratory tumblers.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote