New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite powder-bullet combos for .223 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You don't have to give me a charge weight, just the brand will do. I would appreciate bullet manufacturer and bullet profile. I'm shooting a rifle with a 1:12 twist barrel.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
55 Grain FMJ SPBT over BL(C)2.
Been shooting it for 50 years now. Shoots great out to 800 yards on a calm day. Deadly accurate at 600 yards.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 443 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bal-C2 is a great powder for 223 have burnt many kegs of it.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2 I use (mostly because I have them) H335 and CFE223.

I bought a huge bulk amount of Rem 55 grain pointed soft points and I load them with H335.

The CFE223 is for 60 grain Hornady V-max but I've yet to dip into my 7 pounds. I have shot some factory loaded V-max and they shoot really well in my Howa mini so I'll assume my reloads will too once worked up.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
My go to powders for .223 Rem is CFE-223, Varget and BLC-2. Mostly I use the first listed with a 52 grain Sierra HPBT or a Nosler 55 grain Varminator. Many thousands shot threw my two Savage bull barrels and many more loaded for P Dogs. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My heavy barrel Remington 700VS likes the Hornady 52 gr BTHP over H335 with a magnum primer. My light barrel Remington Model Seven prefers the Hornady 50 gr Vmax over Varget Max charges on both loads. Both loads are accurate, fast, and effective on rock chucks, prairie dogs and jack rabbits.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There are a number of powders that produce very good accuracy and velocity in the 223 Remington.

As there are so many bullets in the 52-55 grain range.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66913 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have mostly used H335, H322, CFE223 as of late, and I really like it..lots of options..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really made a mistake when I nitially posted this request. My barrel has a 1:12 twist and I know that is a critical piece in information~!!
So thanks to everyone who responded, but I need to know from those who have this odd twist rate.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
I really made a mistake when I nitially posted this request. My barrel has a 1:12 twist and I know that is a critical piece in information~!!
So thanks to everyone who responded, but I need to know from those who have this odd twist rate.
I have the same and have had excellent success with H335 using every bullet I've tried between 40-55 grains. I have no desire to shoot long, heavy-for-caliber bullets, so the 1:12 twist suits me just fine. H335 is such a versatile powder in so many cartridges, it's best to stock up on a jug of it when you get the opportunity.

I tried CFE223 but really didn't like it. It shoots well, but it's dirty as hell, and I swear there's a ton more muzzle blast over other powders. I noticed the same thing for CFE pistol in handgun cartridges.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. I've shot a lot of the H-322 in a 6mmPPC and really like it. There's a gun show tomorrow and I think I'll pick up a small canister of the H-335.
What are you shooting out of and what kind of groups can you get~?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not much of a fan of light bullets, and that's why I've never had the slightest interest in the .17's. Not sure I'd want to try to kill a hog with a 53 grain bullet unless I had a heck of an accurate rifle-bullet combo and really placed my shot well. A 70gr slug from a 6mmPPC does ok, but that's an accurate rifle shooting an accurate caliber and the bullet hits right where I want it to~!

one of us
posted Hide Post
For pure accuracy, H322 has been the leader for many years, H335 is also great and gets you a substantial amount of velocity over most powders..The 223 is most forgiving..My favorite powder in several guns today is CFE-223 as it claims to clean the barrels, and IT DOES DO THAT..and its accurate as hell in my 222, 220 swift, 250-3000, and several other calibers..Its my all time choice short of a bench rest match where I would stay with the H322, and thats in my guns, may well be different in yours...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thank you for that feedback. I'm thinking about abandoning my search for a Sako in 6 PPC and going with a .223. The 6's that are for sale are way over priced compared to the .223's anyhow. I've got beaucoup Lake City .223 brass all sorted by weight, primer pockets uniform, and trimmed to length, but I don't have what I describe as a seriously accurate rifle. I do want a 1:9 or 1:10 twist though because I don't like the puny 52 and 53 gr pills. I like to be up in the 65 to 69 gr range.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My son purchased a 223 Ruger American to play around with, and I have continued to load the previous owners favourite load for this rifle.

The rifle has had the barrel shortened to 16" with a suppressor fitted so the velocity will be down however with a Sierra 65gr SBT bullet ahead of 25.5grs H4895 he has taken several red deer and feral goats. This load is very accurate, the charge is 0.2 grs ahead of Sierra's recommended maximum for their 63gr SMP bullet but pressure signs are all normal.

Obviously this is not a long range varmint rig or load but a handy accurate little rifle that he often carries in his wagon or on the quad when out and about just in case he comes across a deer.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had much success with H4895. 25.8grs behind a Sierra 55gr BTHP shoots every time I use it. 50gr Nosler BT's, and VV N133 are favorites also.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using 24gr of Benchmark with either 63gr or 65gr Sierras for deer hunting with various 223's for many years.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use CFE223 and 50 gr Speer TNT's. Accurate, clean burning and I can shoot sage rats all day and clean when I get back to camp.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
24 grains of LT-32 with about any 40 grain bullet.

All shoot very well in both my Stevens 200 and Savage LRPV.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4198, H or IMR, 52-53 Sierra bullets. Wild crazy accuracy.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are all of you who are responding shooting from a barrel with a 1:12 twist~??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting mostly from an AR platform with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist. I'm not sure what the twist rate is in my old Contender carbine rifle.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. Those loads are used in a CZ527 with a 1-12 twist barrel.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My favorite is free powder and cheap bullets. Get them from estate sales.
You have to work up your loads for your rifle anyway.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

Often bullets that theoretically shouldn't shoot well in a certain twist barrel will actually perform well.
All depends on what you want to shoot with the rifle, if just small game then you are likely using light to medium for calibre weight bullets but if wanting to use on larger animals requiring heavier bullets then need to try a few different ones to see if they stabilise in a particular barrel.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 1:12” AR’s, I have had amazingly good accuracy with a 52gr SMK and a moderate charge of 4198.

OAL of 2.220”

Not a great speed load, but very small groups and SD’s. Also seems to function AR’s reasonably well.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I don't know why people get so carried away with velocity. Bullets travel at 3x the speed of sound so the prey isn't going to be alarmed by the sound of the shot. And I know that rabbits and deer are quick, but how much can they move between the time the trigger is pulled until the bullet finds it's mark~? Definitely going to give your combo a try~!

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I like the 62, 65, and 69 grain bullets with VARGET and 4895

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1959 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 1:12 twist~?? I don't think so~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
In my 1:12” AR’s, I have had amazingly good accuracy with a 52gr SMK and a moderate charge of 4198.

OAL of 2.220”

Not a great speed load, but very small groups and SD’s. Also seems to function AR’s reasonably well.

Thank you for paying attention to my requesting favorite loads for a rifle with a 1:12 twist. Lots of answers from people with faster twist rates that just won't work in the slower twist barrel~!!!

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. I don't know why people get so carried away with velocity. Bullets travel at 3x the speed of sound so the prey isn't going to be alarmed by the sound of the shot. And I know that rabbits and deer are quick, but how much can they move between the time the trigger is pulled until the bullet finds it's mark~? Definitely going to give your combo a try~!

Velocity has got nothing to do with prey hearing anything, you obviously haven't done a lot of longer range shooting, if any, when making a statement such as that.

The faster the velocity of a given bullet, the less it is affected by wind drift, the flatter the trajectory of the bullet and the better the bullet will open up at longer range. This all means there is less error in calculating your aiming point for long range game and usually good bullet performance when it arrives at it's game target.

In your case maybe your shooting is all shorter range so velocity is not so important.

You better believe it, many a head shot has failed to connect on game or a bullet aimed for the shoulder has connected with the stomach because the game has moved in the time your brain signals your finger to release the trigger and the bullet actually gets to the target which moves in that time. Check out how quick you can twist your head, it is almost instant, deer decides to look around just as you release the trigger, you gonna miss or god forgive hit the jaw. Ever seen an animal hit in the jaw, it usually sickens the hardiest hunter.

We don't get "carried away" with velocity, we just recognise it as our friend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You better believe it, many a head shot has failed to connect on game or a bullet aimed for the shoulder has connected with the stomach because the game has moved in the time your brain signals your finger to release the trigger and the bullet actually gets to the target which moves in that time

Had that happen the other day with a coyote at 50 yards 5.56 AR with 52gr HPBT. Settled the cross hairs took up the slack just at the point of no return he starts moving.

Gut shot him oh well he's a dead yote laying some place in the woods.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thought and gives me another perspective. You're right in saying that I haven't done a lot of long range hunting. In fact I've done none.
Thank you your addressing my question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my current AR's in 223 are 1:9 twist rate while my T/C Contender Carbine is a 1:12 twist. They all shoot 55gr, 63gr and 65gr bullets well depending on which powder each one prefers. The powders I use most are Benchmark and CFE.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CFE223 with 60 gr V-Max for coyotes (but I prefer a 40 gr BIB in my 20 Practical for coyotes, actually)

I'm using CFE223 powder with a Hammer Hunter 64 gr pill for the grandson to pop a deer with.

By far, I've loaded and fired more 223 with a 55gr Rem second (that I bought years ago by the bag of several thousand) with H335 than any other components.

.....but I guess I already said most of that in a previous post

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benchmark powder
40 grain v max for PDs
40 or 50 grain ballistic tips for coyotes

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've played with multiple .22 centerfires over the last 25 years, but these days I've thinned the group down to a 1-14 22-250, 2 different 1-9 223s, and a 1-12 223. The 1-12 is a Remington 700 ADL Varmint that I bought with the intention of building a 6x45.

Being in basically new condition I hated not to try it out before I took it apart. Dropped it in a HS precision stock, replaced the xmark trigger with one from an older 700 that I had tuned, and with HSM Varmint Blue 55gr sierra blitz kings I suddenly had the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I've since cut the barrel back to 22" and threaded it. I've also worked up a load with the 55gr Nosler FBSP using that has killed a few deer and killed a lot of varmints with the 55gr sierra.

For bullets 60gr and under Benchmark powder has been great. Over 60 I lean towards Varget. Bullet construction trumps weight every time. I've sucessfully stabilized up to 60grs in a 1-14.

What is your priamry use for this rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CFE 223 and 53 gr V Max, made for the 223

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a 1:12 twist~?? I don't think so~!

Right. I missed the twist part of the message.. Can't help you then.. all my rifles are 1:9 or faster

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1959 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Anyone out the still have some of the MILSURP powders (WC 844 or 846) they are pouring in under the bullets

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote