Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS APS primer seater problem.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Is anyone familiar with these strip type RCBS primer seaters? The plunger doesn't always come up through properly and bottoms out more times than not. Are these designed that the plastic strip keeps the plunger aligned? I opened it up and nothing seems out of place.
I don't intend to keep it and don't have any strips on hand to try out.

URL=http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/Copebear/media/DSC00815_zpscb2d17ab.jpg.html] [/URL]

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
That's an old one! I have a hand tool that is APS and works just fine. I've seen the Newer bench models that are different in design than the one in your pictures. That thing looks like a pretty poor prototype of what RCBS offers today.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mick. These are still sold on Midway along with the strips. http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...cm_vc=ProductFinding

I read the reviews there and some love it some hate it. Apparently it is not a tool that is set up quickly and many seem to be turned off by the challenge.

I'll probably offer it 'as is for parts' in the classifieds.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I'm use to looking at the thing from the other side. In the reviews on Midway's site I've read a few people that are having the same problem as you're having. The hand tool is not a problem for me but I like the Auto bench tool better.

As far as the plastic strips go they don’t guide the ram at all, they just make sure the primer lines up with the ram. Unless you buy CCI primers already loaded in the strips, it’s a pain in the butt to load the strips with new primers. The tool that RCBS sales to load the strips is not all that fast.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look like your priming rod is in the hole it fits in.With the handle down the rod up push it down into the holder.I.ve had one since they were introduced no big problems.You said you weren't going to keep it.I live close to Carlisle.Might be interested in it if your thinking about selling.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
ww It is for sale in the classifieds. $30 delivered TYD.