New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drying stainless media
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a good idea yesterday. I had tumbled some brass, and I leave the media in the tumbler and just drain off as much water as possible. Then I leave the tumbler open to dry.

I had a flash of inspiration though...I put a paper towel in the tumbler, pushed it down to the bottom and left it sticking up, like a wick. Capillary action kicked in and started drawing the water up and really cut down on my drying time. I'm probably not the first to think of it, but I felt like Chemistry 1301 wasn't totally wasted. I love applied knowledge.

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why dry it? It won't rust.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
Pour off as much water as you can, spread on a cookie sheet, when the oven hits 350 shut it off and walk away for an hour.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually you don't need the stove, pour off as much water as you can, pour the ss pins out evenly on a towel, and let the warm sun do the work.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodell:

It will.

I pour mine into a colander hung over a bucket and let it drip dry.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need to dry them. Keep the pins covered with water. Won't rust under water. Gotta have oxygen to rust. Works great for me.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lapidary:
quote:

It will.

Mine hasn't in the four or so years I've been wet tumbling. And so what if it does?

Just tumble the rust off.
Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Originally posted by Lapidary:
quote:

It will.

Mine hasn't in the four or so years I've been wet tumbling. And so what if it does?

Just tumble the rust off.
Wink

Mine did (just a little on the bottom of the barrel) after a few days of sitting with a little water in the bottom.

"And so what if it does?" It probably won't make any difference in polishing brass, besides more mess in the barrel. I polish jewelry with mine, and any pitting or edges on the shot will leave scratches/uneven finish.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I do my final rinse with really hot tap water and pour off as much as I can. The pins dry out in the liner just fine.
I do live in a very dry climate and my tumbler is in the utility room so that helps I'm sure.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm tumbling at least every other day, so I don't bother. If I'm going to take a break for a few days I pour the drum through a miners screen to get most of the water out and pour the pins on a folding table with a fan blowing on it. Dry in a couple of hours. Put I do dislike chasing those little buggers all over with a magnet.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have one batch of pins that rust a bit. Don't really care though as I just run use it and its gone again.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
This! tu2

quote:
Originally posted by M16:
No need to dry them. Keep the pins covered with water. Won't rust under water. Gotta have oxygen to rust. Works great for me.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
I don't think drying SS media is difficult ro complicated.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote