New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X50 Japanese
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be helping a friend with his first reloading project using my equipment. he will be reloading for the 6.5X50 Japanese, using omce fired Norma, and new Prvi cases.

I have a variety of 139 grain bullets to choose from, but intend to use Prvi FMJ.

Trying to duplicate WWII era performance, nothing more.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I liked a load of H4895

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That cartridge is tricky to load because of the rifles chambers .My 6.5 jap will
Not shoot Remington 140 grain bullets because of pressure .The Remington 6.5 bullets have that double diameter for the 264 rem mag .I used nosler ballistic tips 120 grain seated way out and they shot 1.25 inches at 100-yards .I use imr4350 powder .You have to watch for primers backing out in 6.5 jap and primer failure .My chamber in the 6.5 jap makes a small buldge above the rim .I also had good luck with lapua 155 grain mega tips in it .This bullet has bands cut in it which reduce pressure .It's super accurate and close to the original 160 grain that the 6.5 jap was originally loaded with .I had to seat the bullets to near the rifling no matter what weight they were .I bought a 260-Remington and just about quit fooling with 6.5 jap I am even thinking about remembering my 6.5 jap.into a 260 Remington to make it work Lot better and to make life simpler !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
That cartridge is tricky to load because of the rifles chambers .My 6.5 jap will
Not shoot Remington 140 grain bullets because of pressure .The Remington 6.5 bullets have that double diameter for the 264 rem mag .I used nosler ballistic tips 120 grain seated way out and they shot 1.25 inches at 100-yards .I use imr4350 powder .You have to watch for primers backing out in 6.5 jap and primer failure .My chamber in the 6.5 jap makes a small buldge above the rim .I also had good luck with lapua 155 grain mega tips in it .This bullet has bands cut in it which reduce pressure .It's super accurate and close to the original 160 grain that the 6.5 jap was originally loaded with .I had to seat the bullets to near the rifling no matter what weight they were .I bought a 260-Remington and just about quit fooling with 6.5 jap I am even thinking about remembering my 6.5 jap.into a 260 Remington to make it work Lot better and to make life simpler !

Thank you for responding. I did encounter the bulge you mention. I also had a few issues with some older once fired Norma cases, all of these issues seem to be well documented long ago, so I pressed on.

With the exception of the Norma brass, I used new Prvi Partizan brass, 139 grain Prvi bullets, and 37 grains of IMR 4350.

These were loaded mostly for informal plinking, so I'm not sure I will ever know the true accuracy of the load.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Cartridges of the World" lists the military load as a 139 grain bullet driven at 2,500 fps. That sounds about right for 37 grs of IMR4350.

Posts: 3662 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 6.5 jap in a number of rifles.
My best vel and accuracy has been with IMR 4320 and 140 grn sierra bullets.
I have made cases from 35 Rem that work perfectly fine, neck is a little short, but they fit the chamber very well.