New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite 7x57 brass...and why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those who have loaded for/used the 7x57 ( in modern action loads) what brass do you prefer and what was the difference that persuaded you? I have meager experience with Remington ( back in 1981 I loaded for a friends 1981 Mod 700 LE Classic) S&B in an old but accurate Mod 93 I had and Winchester brass back in the mid 90s with a Mod 70 FWT Classic I had until I rebarreled it to 30-06.
Now I read pretty good reviews on Privi, not so good on S&B, RWS/Norma/Nosler all have great reps and so does Remington. I don't hear enough about Federal to know much about it. Help me out guys...thanks.

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most often an American company will source its metric brass from a European company. When my 7x57 is built next year, I will use RWS brass. It is dimensionally perfect, and very consistent within a sample of 100 pieces. It will also last through twelve reloadings if it is annealed every third loading cycle. Norma runs a close second. Since the 7x57 is a low pressure round, the Prvi Partizan brass will work just fine.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those who have loaded for/used the 7x57 ( in modern action loads) what brass do you prefer and what was the difference that persuaded you?

As with most of the dozen of calibers I load for the stuff I can get at the best price.

And then it is free stuff that I have picked up or it has been given to me.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
quote:

As with most of the dozen of calibers I load for the stuff I can get at the best price.

And then it is free stuff that I have picked up or it has been given to me.

We have a Winner!!

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I use Privi brass these days. I do not like nor use Remington brass as it is too soft.
I shoot long range exclusively and use near max loads all the time.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Rem and Win. brass in my 257 and can not tell the difference between them.

Not had the chance to try many but Prvi has been ok as well.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart: Since the 7x57 is a low pressure round, the Prvi Partizan brass will work just fine.

I don't know if you've actually used PRVI brass, or if you assume it can't handle stout pressures because it's inexpensive and not made in Germany or Scandinavis, but the Prvi brass is generally quite excellent, and on par with Win and Federal brass, IMHO. Rem and Hornady brass are useable, but don't last very long. Federal generally makes the best American brass, but has a limited selection. I loved their premium nickel 222 brass, but it's long out of production. Winchester quite making 7x57 brass. Win 7x57 has a little more case capacity than just about everything else.

I've not used every brand of brass in the world, but Lapua is the best. Norma is better than any Amercan make.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma and Nosler have given me the best consistent accuracy.

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a very large inventory of 7X57 brass.
It includes PPU, CAVIM military brass, FC, WW, RP, Norma and Hornady Frontier.

None of this brass seems to offer any significant advantages over the others for a hunting or plinking rifle. I got all of it cheap at an indoor rifle range or at a gun shop as once fired components or cheap ammo.

For a 7X57 non bench rest rifle the quality of most brass should be adequate. If it is not adequate the brass is not suitable for any caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 is loaded to 46,000 cup or 51,000 psi and a low pressure cartridge compared to more modern cartridges at 65,000 psi.

So any brass should last for many reloading at these lower chamber pressures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to start out with a couple boxes of PPU factory ammo for sight in, etc. I'm going to load it at least to 6.5x55 pressures. I do think I would like to try RWS, maybe even Norma. Thanks guys, I appreciate the info! Smiler

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if you've actually used PRVI brass, or if you assume it can't handle stout pressures because it's inexpensive and not made in Germany or Scandinavia, but the Prvi brass is generally quite excellent, and on par with Win and Federal brass, IMHO. Rem and Hornady brass are useable, but don't last very long. Federal generally makes the best American brass, but has a limited selection. I loved their premium nickel 222 brass, but it's long out of production. Winchester quit making 7x57 brass. Win 7x57 has a little more case capacity than just about everything else.

I've not used every brand of brass in the world, but Lapua is the best. Norma is better than any American make.

You hit the nail on the head! I have used, and still do use, Prvi Partizan brass in several calibers, especially 9.3x62. I am glad to know that I can step on the gas pedal a bit with that brass. It works well, especially for hunting ammunition. As they say in boxing, "It hits above its weight class".

I use Lapua, Norma, and RWS brass almost out of reflex. Often, It comes down to what is available.

Thank you for your insight, and for getting me to look at Prvi brass through a more accurate prism.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Federal generally makes the best American brass,

Funny, Federal brass has a rather poor internet reputation, esp their 223 with thin webs and loose primer pockets after only 1 or 2 firings.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with Federal or Prvi brass in general.

I have used Remington and Prvi for my 7x57s without issue.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i duno i just use gi 06 and cut it down

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Federal generally makes the best American brass,

Funny, Federal brass has a rather poor internet reputation, esp their 223 with thin webs and loose primer pockets after only 1 or 2 firings.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with Federal or Prvi brass in general.

I have used Remington and Prvi for my 7x57s without issue.

I've never used their 223 brass, as I've never owned a 223, but I've owned four 222's and used their old Gold Medal Nicke, and Nickel BR Match cases. I've also used their standard 222 brass with great results. I think I still may have a 100 pieces of new standard 222 cases in the red boxes. Times may have changed, and maybe they are cutting costs with inferior metallurgy in recent years? I've always had good luck with federal brass.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive always been a WW, RWS, and Lapua fan, but about 5 years ago I tried some PPU brass in different calibers..It outlasts any brass I've tried and I shoot max loads in all my guns, its indestructible...Its also the oldest maker of brass in the world Im told! but never the less its the best Ive ever used and the cheapest. Ive used it in 7x57, 30-06, 9.3x62, and a couple of other calibers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote