New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wasp Waist Bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found these in my stash and don’t remember getting them. They are 6mm/.243 85 grain bullets and I think they may be Herter’s.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep pretty sure thats Herters.

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
It was thought that these bullets would be more accurate than the standard boat tailed bullets.
They were a fad in their time.
In real life they held no real advantage over other types of long range bullets.
They may have some collector value today.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I had the box they came in.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are Herters "Micro Precision Wasp Waist Sonic Missle Tails". Shot quite a few back in the day. Contrary to Herter's hype, can't say there was anything special about them.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Herters "Micro Precision Wasp Waist Sonic Missle Tails".

Herter had a way with words

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to love browsing thru their catalog. Some of the descriptions were good reading.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Working off the Area Rule of transonic aircraft? Bullets travel so fast, it should only help at very long range.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I remember them well; from Herters in the 60's; Model Perfect everything.
I see craig already said that.
The design is all hype and nonsense, but maybe it sold bullets.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember them well; from Herters in the 60's; Model Perfect everything. I see craig already said that. The design is all hype and nonsense, but maybe it sold bullets.

I have a few thousand bullets with a waist. All are pull down and came with corrosive primers. The bullets were streakers, they left a streak in the barrel ever time they were fired. Many shooters in the old days lubed their bullets to reduce streaking; and then they started packing on the grease for slide and glide shooting. The last article I read on streaker bullets was in about 1953, it was an article about cleaning barrels.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I remember them being not very accurate, and pretty inconsistent on game. I think the Rem Corlok'd bullets were hands above them in accuracy and performance on game.

Been a while since I've seen any of those Herter's though. Used to have a few old catalogs around, fun to look through while sitting on the john.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of them in the 60's, shot them in a 22-250 that was otherwise good shooting. Don't remember the weight but probably 55 gr. Didn't shoot worth beans.

To change the subject (sort of) I still have a bunch of Herter's fly tying stuff. I lived on a farm and there was no place to get material except for wood ducks, mallards, etc, and Herters! Those were good days.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have a box of 100 gr. 25 caliber Wasp Waist projies sitting in a book case in the other room that I bought off of the net purely for nostalgia sake.
Herter's scale in there too, for the same reason.
Who knows, my Lyman may die in another 10-20 years.

In my youth there was many a wish in that old yellow catalog! Have one of those too.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wrote this up a couple nights ago and
it didn't post.

I shot them in an '06. Walking thru
heavy timber three mulie bucks ran
past me and one stopped with just his butt
showing, from the short ribs forward were
behind a big pine trunk.

I put it as close to the tree as I dared and
into the short ribs. Don't recall that I looked
to see if it hit the tree or not. I was 17 then.
Bullet blew the far shoulder off with a crater
a basketball could of been buried flush into.
That was from about 15 feet.

Hunting elk about that time with the same bullet. Partner put a .300H&H 180gr from a bit
above into the withers of a bull with head down
eating facing him. Bull sat on his butt like a dog for a bit to look things over.

Then ran right past the guy and where I was some
50 yards behind. Bull ran about 25 feet from me.
I kneeled down and hit him on the point of the
shoulder without any reaction. He fell not far
off and I finished him up with another one.

We cut the shoulder wound open to see what it
looked like. Bubble about 8" dia and 2" deep bone mush.

I used the rest of 'em on prairie dogs.
Too long ago to recall how accurate they were.
Likely as good as I could shoot though.\
Several years ago someone gave me a couple .30 cals
for the bag of collections I have.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To change the subject (sort of) I still have a bunch of Herter's fly tying stuff. I lived on a farm and there was no place to get material except for wood ducks, mallards, etc, and Herters! Those were good days.

Herter's imported and sold some feathers that turned out to be from endangered or otherwise protected birds. The legal consequences were one of the final nails in their retail coffin. RIP Herter's, we miss ye mightily.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid...one form of recreation for me on early winter nights or bad weather weekends was just going through the old Herter's Catalog and dreaming of all the places I would hunt as a grown-up and all the gear I would buy.

My how times have changed. I sure do miss those simpler times. I remember saving up to buy something from that catalog once in a a while. They had order sheets to tear out in the back. I would tear one out, write down my order (a fishing reel or something), go to the post-office and buy a money order, and then post it all off. I always seemed like eternity to get my bounty back. But boy was it fun to go to the Post Office every day with high hopes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a full box of Herter's International Match Grade 6.5x55 ammo.

It features:

Ultra magnum velocity
Less than 1/20 grain powder variation
Ultra precision made, electronically weighed and inspected
156 grain soft point banana peel, the most perfect mushrooming bullets made

And no less than five guarantees

It also features "match grade velocity, ultra accurate".
It's oilproof, and loaded with the world's finest smokeless powder.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I still have a box of 55 gr .bullets and 4 loaded boxes of Herters banana peel 270 130 bullets .

Posts: 19 | Location: Hoosier National Forest Area . | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To change the subject (sort of) I still have a bunch of Herter's fly tying stuff. I lived on a farm and there was no place to get material except for wood ducks, mallards, etc, and Herters! Those were good days

Me too.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Area rule reminded me of trolling lures with a waist sold in the 1990's. I bought a bunch of the small ones for use with 6, 8, and 12# line. You couldn't troll them at 25-30knots on the light stuff, but on 50's on the way to the canyons you could pick up some tuna. However you could lose all your line if not vigilant.

What about dimples like a golf ball, remember the Myth Buster car?

This is a project for Saeed's crew. Make various calibers & waist shapes to see if you can produce more 4000fps rifles out of the ones we already have.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Miss old George's prose. How many hours did I spend poring over the Herter's catalog back in the 1960s? He'd be busy heaping praise upon praise for another pedestrian product, then stop to explain "The Indian method of quitting smoking." God rest his soul.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote