Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts and Nosler E-Tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

Anyone got any pointers on reloading the 257 Roberts with a the 100gr Nosler E-Tip?

Thinking possibly with Ramshot hunter but all help gratefully received.

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you hunting in a jurisdiction where lead bullets are prohibited? There are a number of disadvantages to monometal bullets that makes them less desirable if conventional bullets can otherwise be used.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Are you hunting in a jurisdiction where lead bullets are prohibited? There are a number of disadvantages to monometal bullets that makes them less desirable if conventional bullets can otherwise be used.

Hi Stonecreek,

You make a very good point. Where I am it is not yet mandatory but it looks a real possibility. Also we can sell our venison through game dealers and they are showing a preference for non-lead bullets driven by the restaurants and hotels they sell to.

So my answer is, I'm trying to be a bit ahead of the curve.

I do like my lead bullets. Particularly partial to the Sierra 117gr Gameking Soft Point Boat Tail myself though had good luck with 120gr Partitions and Speer SPBTs as well.

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet you use does not have to be special for ordinary deer.
My 25-06 was tested with H4831 and IMR4350 many years ago. I found best accuracy with the Sierra 100 grn flat base bullet.
I use a medium load of IMR4350 that I found in 3 manuals plus the NRA. It is a mild load so the cases last a long time.

The Sierra bullet is pretty tough and always gives complete penetration on side shots.
I load my ammo with the bullet seated about .020 off the lands.
Your rifle will use a few grains less and will still deliver 95% of the velocity I get.
Both shoot flatter than a 100 grn bullet in a factory load for a 100 grn 243.