New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Having an Encore barrel made in 35 Win. Was planning on making cases from 3040 brass.I have access to Win, Hornady and PPU brass.Since the 3040 krag is a little shorter than the 35 Win the longest case availble would be best. Anyone else out there doing this ? What case would you recommend ??

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I was going to say 405 but those are hard to get now. Look at 9.4x74; I did not do the comparison. Or 375 flanged mag; didn't check it either.
Just thinking out loud. So 30-40 is the most practical way.
You might have gone with a 35 Whelen or even 358 for minimum drama and max case capacity and easy to get brass and dies. Encores work with rimless.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made some from 9.3x74 for a friend. They turned out very well and was not much effort.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms usually has 35 Winchester cases in stock, made from stretched 30-40 brass and not too expensive (about $30 for 20). Of course they're out of stock at the moment. They're pretty good at getting them made for you and it sounds like you have some time.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. Lets see.....Buffalo Arms will not ship to Canada so whether they have stock or not is irrevilent. 405 brass has a rim thickness of about .075" while the 3040 and 35 Win rim was only about.059"..9.3x74 and 7x65R could both be used but they are both much more expensive than 30-40 brass. Yes the resulting case will be about .100"short but that will not be an issue in a single shot

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done this with WW brass for use in a custom Krag in 35 WCF. I must admit that the necks are noticeably short, they give me no problems and I get good accuracy. I necked them up and annealed them prior to fire-forming.
John

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Next time find the brass first and then make the chamber to fit that.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That pistol smith in Flagstaff. Gary N Reeder has .405 brass.
Buy plenty and forget the short brass unless you use the 9.3X74R brass

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Oops - Sorry I missed that you were in Canada, my apologies.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote