Find
Notify
Tools

Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted
I just got into rifle reloading and have a lot more magnum large rifle primers than large rifle primers. Will I have issues using the magnum primers in 30-06, 257 Robert’s and .234?

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no...

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No you won't.

You might need to adjust loading data, otherwise nothing is wrong with using magnums.

You definitely need to use magnum primers for the larger case, no doubt at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Great. Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going on the lower end of grains of powder and working up from there.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
Great. Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going on the lower end of grains of powder and working up from there.

I think you will find very little difference.

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
It seems like more people are looking for standard rifle primers than magnum in the want ads, so if you ask around at your local ranges you might easily find someone interested in doing a little trading.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used both standard and magnum with some 30.06 loads. With some powders magnum primers did raise velocity a bit. Not dramatically but enough that I would drop the starting charge a couple of grains when working up. In another case I was loading up a batch of a favourite load using standard primers when I ran out. Out of curiosity I dropped the charge a couple of grains and loaded up 5 rounds with magnum primers. They actually seemed more accurate when I shot them at the range.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The case of using different primers causing problems was created in the past by arm chair writers.

There many cases related to reloading which I have tried, which proved everything written in the past - me a lot on the Internet - is nothing by a load of bullshit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load mags in my 280 AI with a copious amount of IMR7977. Works like the bee's knees!

IF anything, a grain reduction in powder charge is all that's needed IF THAT.... from what I've seen.

I just shot a ton of 22-250's with mag Primers and no animals were harmed....well, no humans were harmed. LOL

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The case of using different primers causing problems was created in the past by arm chair writers.

There many cases related to reloading which I have tried, which proved everything written in the past - me a lot on the Internet - is nothing by a load of bullshit.

I TOTALLY AGREE!
To a large extent the internet or magazine article warriors try to pass off opinion as fact WHEN IN FACT THEY HAVE PROBABLY NEVER TRIED SOMETHING.. I DIDN'T MEAN TO CAP EVERYTHING BUT I'M TOO LAZY TO FIX IT.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed
posted 28 June 2022 22:58

I tend to find the best info here, on AR. Many guys here have very good knowledge. Been there, done that.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
With shortages, I have been using small rifle primers in all my pistol and small rifle rounds. No difference at all.

Large pistol and large rifle are not interchangeable though.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on what your doing and in what rifle.
I regularly shoot LP primers in many of my 30-06's cast loads.
I generally need another grain of powder to make up the difference, but that's sort of a bonus since I get a bit more case fill.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
depends on what your doing and in what rifle.
I regularly shoot LP primers in many of my 30-06's cast loads.
I generally need another grain of powder to make up the difference, but that's sort of a bonus since I get a bit more case fill.

i was gonna say............

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It works but POI might change to whatever degree..

I mostly use largr rifle primer in 30-06 based calibers and Large rifle magnum in belted cases for whatever reason, but today thats dependent on availability..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Those LG Rifle magnum primers will work. You just won’t get the same results as you would if you were using the original Lg Rifle primers.

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
With shortages, I have been using small rifle primers in all my pistol and small rifle rounds. No difference at all.

Can I use small pistol primers for small rifle like .223 ?

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Can I use small pistol primers for small rifle like .223 ?

Not a good idea due to pressure differences in handgun and rifle cartridges.

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mix and match primers quite a bit! I use Sm. pistol magnum primers in my .218B with Lil'Gun. I use Large pistol magnum primers in both my .30-30s, my .30-40, one of my .30-06s and I just loaded up some ammo for my .cheap heavy bbl Savage .243 that shoots about 1/2" three shot groups using H414 and the Lg.Mag. pistol primers. I use them because I have a shit load of them and they were cheap (read free) and they work!

Just watch for pierced primers and light hits due to a shallower seating depth.

P.S I also use CCI #34 military primers in lieu of Large magnum rifle primers.

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote