New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloader 17 in 243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been looking for light bullet data for the 243 using RE 17 and I'm not having any luck. I want to shoot either a Berger 68 grain or a Sierra 70 grain bullet. I'm using Win. brass and CCI 200 primers. I know the powder is a little slow for bullets this light but I'd like to burn it up.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
nosler has some data for the 70gr bullets
https://load-data.nosler.com/

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL-17 is very similar to the burn rate of the 4350 powders and you can use that data by starting on the lower side and working up...I've even used IMR and H 4831 just to see what happens...velo in the 34-3500 fs range but good accuracy...basically compressed loads depending on your COAL. I shot a lot of 4350 and 4831 in my 6mm Rem with 70 gr Sierra and Hornady back in the day.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
When Reloader 17 came out I called the maker and asked about data, the technician was adamant that if you have IMR4350 data then you use it for Reloader 17 but you can push it farther with less pressure than IMR4350.
I'm using it now in 6.5x55 and 30/06 with great results.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I can't find my load data but I have always had good luck with the old Reloader 11 and IMR-4320 and the 70 gr Sierra BTHP

You might give 4320 a try.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies. The Nosler data was exactly what I was looking for Hivelocity. It is just too easy to get on Hodgdons website and use their data and I have got in the habit of not looking elsewhere. I was also of the opinion that RE 17 was faster than 4350 and Re 19 was closer to the same.
Thanks again

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL-17 and RL-19 have different burning characteristics. RL-17 appears to have a higher energy content per unit and thus yields higher velocities with similar volumes of powder. I just chronographed two loads in a .244 (6mm) Remington using a Nosler 70 grain Bal. Tip and these two powders.

A load of 48.5 grains of RL-17 chronographed 100 fps faster than a load of 52 grains of RL-19. Although it is impossible without sophisticated equipment to accurately assess pressures, the usual pressure indicators showed both loads to be similar and within the normal parameters of sustainable pressures. (Incidentally, both loads shot excellent groups of identical size which would have overlapped at the same POI if fired on the same target.)

Posts: 13216 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote