THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Precision Mic Problems (Freebore Tool)
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to measure my 7RemMag's freebore with the precisions mic tool, but I've ran into a problem. The tool won't chamber. I was thinking that I had it set too long (even though I followed the instructions), so I kept moving it in. Finally I seperated the two halfs and even the metal "case" portion will not chamber by itself. Any thoughts?

Posts: 9 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably got it mixed up at the factory..compare the size using a caliper and see what the diff. is...i've heard of guys getting dies marked for .308 but turned out it was another caliber and got mixed up and marked wrong at the factory..just a thought.

Gun control is hitting your target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is your rifle a push feed? I've had trouble with this tool in my Remington 700 and Savage 110 - will be trying in a CZ 550 shortly, which I expect will work. I suspect it's operator error on my part....

Bruce

Posts: 55 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a Ruger M77 MkII stainless/synthetic.

The tool goes into the chamber just fine, but the bolt will not close down on it. I guess I should have explained that first...

Posts: 9 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was thinking that you could not chamber it..scratch my post

Gun control is hitting your target.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mrb302,

Are you ensuring the extractor hook is over the rim and - it stays there - while you're chambering? Sometimes it slips off as you feed the tool into the chamber, then the hook is behind the tool.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
beretta:
Sorry. I should have mentioned it was the bolt in my first post.. It does physcially fit inside the chamber.

Jaywalker:
I tried several times making sure it was under the extreactor. I even took the bolt out, put the tool under the extractor by hand, and then tried it. Still can't close the bolt.

I emailed my question to RCBS and the response was "send us the tool and we'll check it"