New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ejector mark question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a .300 Wby built up on a Remington 700 action. I am getting ejector marks on all of the loads I shoot. At first I thought I was just loading them hot, until I downloaded, lowering my velocity 130fps, and the mark is still present. How many of you get marks with loads that cannot be at high pressure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it could be a couple of things. You said this is a custom .300 Weatherby. Did your Gunsmith free bore it? If not you're going to have to drop back on your loads. Is the 130 fps a guess or did you chronograph them? It also may be a SAAMI minimum chamber and your brass may need the necks turned? Give us some more detail on the chambering.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is not the freebore of standard weatherby rifles. I have downloaded from what the books say because of the shorter throat. I did choronograph the velocities so I know for sure it was 130fps slower. I am shooting Norma brass. Bolt lift is easy so I'm thinking it is maybe a stiff ejector spring.

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Safari,

What may actually be happening is the case is coming back against the ejector. Are you neck sizing only or full length re-sizing. Try a couple of just neck sized cases with a slightly tight fit on closing. This will ensure the shoulder is tight in the chamber. Are there any other signs, such as primers backing out slightly?

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you are NK sizing, it is just a stiff ejector spring that will cause that. Unless it is BRIGHT and SHINY as well as indented, then you have a pressure problem. I have had quite a few of my springs lightened to keep from seeing these flase pressure signs as well as to not bend the case mouth upon drawing the bolt rearward.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are your velocities compared to the documented 300 Weatherby ones in your manual?

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 200gr Nosler Partition I use 80.0gr of IMR 7828 to reach 3000fps. I have been using Redding Competition Dies with the bushings for neck sizing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get a mark on the case from the case not being sized quite enough. The mark is left when you lock the bolt down. This is a similar mark, but doesn't look the same as brass flowing into the estractor cut. The brass flowing into the extractor cut in the bolt will be the shape of it and will be reaised above the case head itself, then sheared off when the bolt is opened. Hopefully I made this clearer, not more complicated, but if you've seen the brass flow, you'll know what I am talking about. This is not a good thing.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote