Find
Notify
Tools

What is a 416 Tyr/10.6x80?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
All I can find on it is that is was designed by Horst Grillmayer.

What are the dimensions? Is it based on an existing case?

Not planning to build one. Just curious.

Thanks

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of it but googling your numbers came up with this:

http://www.municion.org/41/416Tyr.htm
and
http://deutsches-jagd-lexikon....x.php?title=.416_TYR

both of which have a translation link. The picture makes the 9.3x64 look like a child in adult company.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 416 Taylor is simply the 338 WM or 458WM necked up or down to 416.
Pretty simple design.

Cheers.
popcorn

Posts: 682 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 TYR, NOT the 416 Taylor is the cartridge under discussion. Shooters in Austria were banned from using a 50 BMG weapon because it is considered a "War Weapon." Steyr then came out with the .460 Steyr which is a necked down 50 BMG.

The government eventually decided that the .460 Steyr was also a "War Weapon," based on no reason.

The 10.6 x 80mm TYR was then designed. The case head is smaller than a 50 BMG or .460 Steyr. It is used as a long range, very high power, target rifle.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is brass available? It's all academic, with other big cases readily available. Always interesting to read about it, though.

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Steyr a call. They may have a line on that round, since their rifle sales are the ones at risk. I wonder what case it is based on? 338 Lapua? 416 Rigby?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a cartridge drawing which shows the rim diameter to be 17.7mm(.697"). I don't know of any other cartridge with that rim size.

Steyr didn't know anything about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to find out what the Russian 14.5mm cartridge base size is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of that, but it's 1.061".
The 12.7x108 is .854".

Would be great to have a good supply of brass for either of them...but maybe it's better not to. That would be one hell of an expensive rifle, with very little practical use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This little mystery is getting me intrigued.
The rifle might be loud enough to spook the demd back into Austin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just found out that it is based on the 577 T-Rex case and holds about 204 grains of powder. Roughly the same class as 585/416/375 Hubel Express.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I'd never heard of it but googling your numbers came up with this:

http://www.municion.org/41/416Tyr.htm
and
http://deutsches-jagd-lexikon....x.php?title=.416_TYR

both of which have a translation link. The picture makes the 9.3x64 look like a child in adult company.

Hi,
it´s based on a modified .577T-Rex Case. There´s a .375 Caliber Version also. You can get Cases and loaded Ammo from DORFNER / Vienna.
T-Rex Brass is made by HORNEBER /Germany.

Best
Wildcat