Find
Notify
Tools

A Little Walk Down Memory Lane ADDED PRIMERS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted
Those were the days. Powder almost as OLD as I am LOL. Some still sealed and some of the the containers look new
Enjoy
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2546 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded the 348 Win using Hivel back in the 60's.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Doug - you are braver than me!

I have a few really old cans of powder (been loading my own 45 years) but the powder that was left in them went down the toilet!

I just enjoy the old cans now, without thoughts of what might happen as the powder deteriorates. Big Grin

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
Forgot the primers

BEEN A WHILE
Safe shooting
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2546 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like to have that Alcan powder.
I'm almost out of the AL-5 I have, but I still have about 6 lbs of H-450 left, I used some in the 7X57 last fall.
I could pair up the 5 and 7 with the 2 cases of Alcan wads I have.
I know I still have some data for that Hi-Vel powder too, it was pretty good in the 0-6.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I remember reading articles about using Hi-Vel #2 in M1 Garands. A modest charge of it gave pretty good velocity to the old 173-grain boat tail FMJ along with moderate port pressures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
whatdaya mean memory land - i'm still using some of those

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still working on a 4# can of AL5, using it in pistols. HiVel#2 was great for target loads in the .30-06. I have no idea how many of the Alcan wads I ran through as a kid. Whatever happened to Alcan?
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those were the days. Powder almost as OLD as I am LOL.

Almost? I'm still using surplus 4831, which, at about 75 years, is older than either of us. It is still one of the most consistent and accurate powders for several calibers I load.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of those old metal rifle and pistol powder cans, figured someday they would have collector value..40 pounds of old Army surplus 4831 or 4350 DATA, in a 150 lb. stainless container in a wood box all the same stuff..some old Western open point expanding bullets in 25 and 270 cal, later to be used by Winchester..and other old discontinued bullets, old peters, Rem, and WW ammo boxes or covers..some real art work in those old ammo boxes..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarbe:
Doug - you are braver than me!

I have a few really old cans of powder (been loading my own 45 years) but the powder that was left in them went down the toilet!

I just enjoy the old cans now, without thoughts of what might happen as the powder deteriorates. Big Grin

Best way to dispose of old powder is to sprinkle it on your lawn.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1158 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Some of those cans I might still use. Buy the 2400 in a big jug then use one of those old cans to keep a small amount in for on the bench.
Leo.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote