New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite cleaning rods?
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
What kind of cleaning rods can you guys recommend to me. I have been using a 1 piece nylon coated rod but I have seen stainless steel rods. Which is easier on the bore? I don't want to ruin any of my rifles.

Thank you,

Al Smith

<Bill>
posted
I know there is a huge debate between coated and stainless rods, my vote goes to stainless steel. I take my rods into the field sometimes, and where I shoot there is a lot of sand, I don't want to risk the stuff getting embedded into the rod. The brand of rod, jags and brushes I use is Proshot. Very reasonably priced and a quality product, and any brush will fit, you don't have to buy one made for thier rod.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend that you use Dewey rods or some other high quality coated rod. They do not embed nor do they peel. Coated rods are specifically designed to protect your barrels. Wipe them after each patch or brush is run through to keep from redepositing residue and causing wear. If interested call Sinclair - 219 493-1858 they are great guys and know a lot about guns.

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the coated rods.

If you can't handle cleaning your rod before you put it in the bore, you have no business cleaning your barrel, as this process must be REALLY complicating for you.

Given with a smile!

M.D. Lindley

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Lee in OH>
posted
I just got a new Dewey rod. I have a ????? For cleaning with JB per the Berger cleaning method (I shoot moly), is it OK to use the Dewey, or will the abrasiveness of the JB wear the coating off???? Thanks in advance.

------------------
"OHHHHHHH I HATES VARMINTS!!!!" -Yosemitie Sam

visit my home page at.....

http://www.geocities.com/hogshooter_2000

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Lee - JB will "work" on your rod. After all, it is an abrasive. You can't get around that fact. Make sure you use a bore guide always and especially with JB. This will help keep your rod off the lands. You may need to replace your coated rod a little more often, but that beats abnormal wear with a SS rod.

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I like the Bore tech rods they have a great handle and don't seem to flex much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
I like the Bore tech rods they have a great handle and don't seem to flex much.

I have to agree with the Bore Tech, I have and still use a Dewey and a stainless steel brand I can't remember the name but the Bore tech ball bearing handle is soooo smooth that it follows the twist of the bbl without unscrewing the jag even with back and forth scrubbing motions such as using JB or USP Bore paste, the Dewey rod is good it is the handle of the Bore Tech that makes a difference, they are coated and as long as you wipe after each pass I don't think there is any real difference between coated and straight stanless if hardened, I use both, the hardened steel in the field and the coated at the bench and vise. good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<PowderBurns>
posted
Stainless.

Use a bore guide and don't flex the rod. I use brass jags and bronze brushes. If I use an "eye" with a patch it's plastic and clean.

I'm sold on Tetra Gun for lubing and surfacing the bore. Seems to keep the bore cleaner than anything I've used to date. Supposed to increase velocity and improve accuracy. No empirical data on that claim from me.

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Dewey, coated.

<Boltgun>
posted
Bore Tech is coming out with caliber specific rods that will be stiffer than their old rods. They also have some new lengths for longer barrels, up to 54", I beleive.
Bolt

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Al Smith:
[B]What kind of cleaning rods can you guys recommend to me. I have been using a 1 piece nylon coated rod but I have seen stainless steel rods. Which is easier on the bore? I don't want to ruin any of my rifles.

Thank you,
Al as the other posters state the new Bore Tech rods are great, Sinclair carries and recc. them, I have used and still use Dewey coated rods and stainless rods , the main thing is to use a good well fitted rod guide and be careful in rod handling and the rod and gun rifling will both last longer, good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Bore Tech. They are THE BEST! I still use my Dewey's, but the Bore Tech rod is just nicer.

I'll replace all my Dewey's with Bore Techs .......eventually. The Dewey's are also great rods..... so I'm not going to do it till they wear out.

DaMan

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about rod guides? I have a Stoney Point and another that I can't remember the name of, and neither one really keeps the rod centered. They can't. The hole in the front (and rear) guide is larger than the bore diameter. My SS cleaning rod has a cone that slides on the rod. I hold the cone against the back of the bore guide so that at least the cone centers the rod. I can tell though that the rod still contacts the rifling.
Perhaps this is all the more reason to use coated rods.

[This message has been edited by Max503 (edited 04-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Max503 (edited 04-16-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Dewey's, I've never seen a bore tech other than on their website and I think they'd do just as well as a dewey. There is no way in hell I'd stick a stainless rod down any of my barrels unless I really didn't like them.

<Rust>
posted
I had used Deweys for years until I tried a Bore Tech, and immediately switched. The bearing action is much superior and with a really tight patch the Bore Tech will not "jump" the lands and unscrew the jag as can happen with a Dewey. If you are going to buy a new rod, the Bore Tech is by far superior in factory original shape.

I later found a modification for my Deweys. If you can take the handle off, you can drop in a couple of extra balls to prevent the rod from binding under load and "jumping" the lands. I had to make a tool to remove the handle nut and a local bearing supply house had loose bearings of an appropriate size.

Since I had considerable money in Deweys, I felt that an upgrade was fiscally responsible. But my new 6mm rods are Bore Techs.

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
Well recently I "graduated" from a 3 pc. aluminum rod to a stainless dewey for the 22-250. I then bought a coated dewey for the 30-06. I bought a Bore-tech stainless rod for the Redhawk, and I am going to get a brass one piece for my shotguns, dont remember the brand. Probably going to invest in one of the coated rods for my blackpowder rifle too.
Well, I cannot end this debate, I know pro-gunsmiths that would not use anything but a stainless rod. I know one gunsmith that even uses a little stainless rod in his 17 cal with no bad luck. I doubt this will be ever settled. Kinda like "which is better 30-06 or 300 Win Mag?"

------------------
Load Hot, Shoot Straight
JoeM