Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Scales
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
Can someone tell me the difference between the 5-0-2, 5-0-5, and 10-10 scales?
I checked the RCBS website and and called Midway too, but I didn't really get any good info.

Posts: 7476 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
LDO -
The 502 and 505 are similar, with the 502 being advertised as having 'big scale features and capacity without the big price'. Capacity of the 502 is 505 grains; 505's capacity is 511 grains. Cost (MidSouth Shooters Supply) for the 502 is $41.13; 505 runs $55.99. I have been using the 502 for ten years, no problems; before that I used (still have under the bench) a 10-10. They're all supposed to be sensitive to +/- 0.1 grain.
The 10-10 is pretty neat - it's designed so that all the components (beam/pan/hook) are stored in the base with a plastic cover that comes with it. Capacity of the 10-10 is 1,010 grains; cost is $89.86.
The main gripe I had with the 10-10 is the grains/tenths adjuster. It's a little threaded hickey on the right side of the balance point that you turn back and forth to adjust, each complete revolution being one grain, but, the finger pressure needed to do it always caused the scale to bounce all over the place. With the 502's and 505's, the more common 'slidey metal thing with notches' grain/tenths adjuster is used.
Hope this helps.
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<PowderBurns>
posted
I've been using a 5-0-2 since about 1988 without a hitch. I'm loading in the 15-30 gr. range though. Not sure about how it'd work for heavier charges. Can't see why it wouldn't be fine so long as the load was within the scale's capacity.

That "little metal thingie" (it's a poise) will jump the notches when you put the pan on the hanger. Pays to read the setting a couple times when you're tossing a charge.

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I had considered the 10-10 because I may one day get a .50 cal. I would want it for weighing bullets. (I have some Russian issue 788 grainers. wondering about how well they work).
For now my rifles are in .22-250, 6.5 Gibbs, and .30-'06. It occurred to me after I bought the third one that they all trace their lineage back to the .30-'06. Hmmmmmm. Pretty versatile case, eh?
BTW- I placed on order with Midway for a press (Forster Co-Ax) and related supplies. I got the RCBS 5-0-5. Realistically, I can't see getting the .50 for a few more years. I just prefer weighing smaller charges/bullets/cases on a scale with a lower range.

Posts: 7476 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote