Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Style of RCBS Die to Buy
 Login/Join

posted
I m buying dies to reload my new Win Mod 70 338 Win Mag and dont know enough about which model die to buy.
the RCBS choices seem to be:

The traditional FULL LENGTH style
Then the NECK SIZER Style
Then the X DIE FULL LENGTH style

I read the specs on each set at the Midway site and I have a warm fuzzy about the neck sizing style but the opinion of the group is what i need. I plan on working a load up and shooting some each year before the season opens just to get comfortable again before the hunt. so i may not be reloading each cas a lot.
thanks alot!
best regards
ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually buy the full length die set and just the neck sizing die separately. I load using the neck sizer for four reloadings, then anneal the necks and full length size the brass. After that, I start all over again with four neck sizings and the anneal and full length sizing. I've had good results in case longevity by this method.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can neck size with a F/L die-and save a few bucks.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Set the FL die to size only enough to chamber and forget the neck sizing. I have not loaded for a 338 but you might be able to set the FL die using a some 300 win mag cases. They have a longer shoulder length and will permit setting the die on the shoulder.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you consider the cost of the reload dies in the life of owning a cartridge... they will last you forever....

why skimp????

I'd get a set with the X Sizer and then purchase a Neck sizing die also...

If you go with a Lee Deluxe Set, you can get the Full Length, the Neck Sizer and the seating die, for the price of the RCBS Seater and FL sizing die.....

Truth be known, I have both a set of Lee's Deluxe AND a set of RCBS dies for about every caliber I load for....always have a back up.. and you will find that sometimes one works better than the other for this or that....

Since a die set costs less than a box of 50 premium bullets in the 338 Bore, why cut corners????

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
In actual practice I agree with you. I have multiple dies sets in a number of key calibers. It has been an excellent learning experience. There is nothing like trying 4 or 5 dies sets in the same caliber to learn the differences or lack there of. There are several cartridges that I have wound up with multiple die sets of the same brand and have found that even the same brand does not always have identical dimensions or features over time.
I still don't have much use for a standard neck sizing die. The Collet dies are ok if the brass is consistent in neck temper and thickness. For example RP brass works fine in a 6MM Rem but not WW brass. Why? The WW brass is thinner in the neck.
I do like the Wilson type hand dies with neck sizing bushings though.

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
One thing I like about one of the RCBS dies is the "Competetion" die, especially the seater die.

It has a window that you drop in the bullet and it aligns perfectly.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Years ago, before I started making my own dies I tried the RCBS Comp. dies and they were terrible. Maybe they have improved them.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
You will be loading for hunting situations where reliability is an issue. Full length sizing will increase feeding reliability, and are perfectly cabable of producing sub MOA loads. S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replys and suggestions....I ll let you know what I buy and where...
Ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the "window" feature on the RCBS Competition Dies as well. I bought a set in .308. The only thing I did was fill in the graduations on the micrometer stem with some "Bonanza Silver" I had left over. It makes them a lot easier to read. I tried my first set of RCBS X-Dies in 8 MM Mauser a while back, but I haven't shot the cases enough to do enough resizes to see if they work. I bought them because I hate trimming cases. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billt:
I like the "window" feature on the RCBS Competition Dies as well. I bought a set in .308. The only thing I did was fill in the graduations on the micrometer stem with some "Bonanza Silver" I had left over. It makes them a lot easier to read. I tried my first set of RCBS X-Dies in 8 MM Mauser a while back, but I haven't shot the cases enough to do enough resizes to see if they work. I bought them because I hate trimming cases. Bill T.

Bill T.
You could read those dies if your eyes were not strained by the black leather jacket.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
There is a load of good infomation here and sometimes it me be confusing. If your main goal for loading is hunting bullets you need the Full Length Size die. You can get a neck die to play with later.
There is fine line between easy bolt closing and hard bolt closing. In the field most do not like a hard closing bolt. You will figure all that out in time. I bought a FL set from RCBS for one of my rifles in 1982 and it works so well I can't change anything in the process for that rifle. For others I have tried different combinations of steps and different brands. Relosding opens up a whole new world to the shooter.
Have fun with this addictive hobby.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote