New
Find
Notify
Tools

10.75x68 and the 423 Dakota?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK Guy's, another dumb question... and it sounds like going in the wrong direction to me so have never done it to any great extent.

With all the talk lately about the 10.75x68 and nothing better to do today, I dug out a box of Lapua 423 Dakota brass I have to compare.

At a glance they look identical, digging up some drawings on the 10.75x68 and no published data on the 423 Dakota I get out the calipers for quick comparison.

Case Length: The 423 is 0.202 shorter than the 10.75x68.

Base to Shoulder: they are the same.

Neck Diameter: they are the same.

Shoulder Diameter: 423 is approximately 0.065 larger than the 10.75x68.

Base Diameter: 423 is approximately 0.090 larger than the 10.75x68.

Question being what to do with all this Lapua 423 Dakota brass?

I've never seen a 423 Dakota riffle though I imagine there's a few out their somewhere.

and there's quite a few 10.75x68 rifles out there, and brass is hard to come by.

Was wondering if the 423 brass could be compressed enough in standard dies for it to work in the 10.75x68, or better off to have a custom reamer made and turn a 10.75x68 rifle into a 423 Dakota, fire forming with a few minor changes and maybe calling it the 423 Dick...

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'll say this, brass for the 10.75 is EXPENSIVE!! It can be made from belted magnum brass but properly headstamped brass is expensive and hard to come by.

I kinda like your idea. I have an old 10.75x57 that might need to be rechambered.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
10.75 brass is relatively easily made from 375 brass; no it is not too small as some have said. 10.75 is .495 OD and mag is .512. Some I have is smaller.
Dies are horrendous; I am planning to make a lot of them, as well as 10.75 barrels.
But so far, only two orders, so the project won't fly yet.
No you can't swage your Dakota brass down .090 in a reloading die. Too much.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.404 Dakota looks like an even better answer to the wildcat topic of shortening .404 Jeffery.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6521043&m=4641090722

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice and easy, but still adds up to some pretty good bucks... no pun intended.

423 Reamer to re-chamber, probably $175 or more for a 1 off. Haven't checked prices in a few years.

423 Re-Reamer to provide Redding so that they can make dies, probably the same or there abouts.

423 Dies probably up to another $350 or more. Again I haven't had Redding make me a wildcat set in a few years.

So right off it would be $650 to $700 if you already have the rifle with a 423 barrel, and can do the work yourself.

Then there is no brass supply for it... I have 400 new pieces, but trying to find more is like trying to find brass for the 577 Tyrannosaur. There was a few people that bought some when I got mine, and I saw a bunch of them practically give it away. I would imagine the supply is just about gone now. Wish I would have bought 10 times as much when I got this supply... at the time I had no idea what it was and I purchased it without checking. For some reason I was thinking Big-Bore hand gun or Lever-Gun cartridge.

Sure was surprised when cases showed up. Got to watch out for those week-end sales places have just wanting to get rid of stuff. That was a few years back also.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I've decided to rechamber my 10.75x57. I was going to keep it but dies are just as expensive as those for the 68. May as well simplify and just have both my 10.75's be 68's.

This way I'll use one for exclusively cast bullets, the other for jacketed.

As was pointed out in the above link, the neck on the .404 is very long, same too for the 10.75. I actually like this, at least for cast bullets as all the lube grooves will be covered.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If I get more customers for 10.75x68 barrels, I will also make dies, and they will be less than $100.
That is the easiest solution, but I have to have more than two orders to make it happen; otherwise it is as described above; $1000 for one. There is an accounting term for it, but I have now forgotten if I even took accounting. I think I did.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
If I get more customers for 10.75x68 barrels, I will also make dies, and they will be less than $100.
That is the easiest solution, but I have to have more than two orders to make it happen; otherwise it is as described above; $1000 for one. There is an accounting term for it, but I have now forgotten if I even took accounting. I think I did.

Economies of scale.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I liked the 10.75x68, brass was hard to come by until Huntingtons started selling Horneber and then all was well..However they quit selling it for some reason which made no sense as they were having trouble keeping it in stock. But Huntington has fallen on bad times I fear, their stock in most everything has dwindled severely, Different folks are taking orders and it seems to me they are in turmoil, and at any rate 10.75x68 is impossible to find these days, and its just not worth the effort unless brass becomes available from Horneber again. Brass from 375 is just more trouble than its worth IMO...Id just as soon go with the 9.3 x 62 or 9.3x64..If brass becomes available for the 10.75x68 again I will certainly build another one for myself..Its such a nice buffalo gun with 400 gr. Woodleighs..

I think today Id just go with the 416 Ruger or 404 Ruger..and I gave some thought to a 423/9.3x62 or 64..but never got around to it. I did have a 375 x 9.3x62 and almost duplicated a 375 H&H balistically..I liked that one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHM and Horneber both have 10.75x68 cases available, and LFB sells factory ammo.
No problem with either cases or bullets. There is older RWS ammo available in many European countries.
My own 10.75x68 is on a steady diet of RWS and Hirtenberger cases and Woodleigh bullets.

http://www.lfb-munition.com/Ka...LFB_2015_English.pdf
http://www.huelsen-horneber.de/index_en.html
http://www.http://huelsenmanufaktur.de/

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is nobody is importing these into the USA.

Link correction. I see SHM is a new company.
http://www.huelsenmanufaktur.de/

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .404 Dakota is a short .404 Jeffery, same head diameter.
The .423 Dakota is even shorter, IIRC, with a head diameter same as the .338 Lapua Magnum.
The .423 Dakota is the only Dakota round I ever considered a bit oddball.
The CEO of Dakota who championed that round was canned soon after it came out.
sofa
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id question ordering those bullets out of Imperial Canada, that's gone liberal over gun laws..I couldn't pull any information up on your post..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TradeEx (among others) sell Woodleigh bullets in Canada, but I don't know if they will ship to the US. BTW, there is no problem for us to buy brass and bullets from outside Canada, the issue is usually the exporting country that mandates an export permit. The rules & regulations have changed greatly the last 20 years.

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh bullets are available from Huntington, always have been, including .423 bullets and even the original 10.75x68 350 gr. bullet, but Id suggest you shoot 400 gr. 404 bullets in the 10.75s..

When I was shooting the 10.75x68 I had 120 Horneber cases, that I annealed with every trim that lasted me for somewhere around 5 years and at least more reloads than I can remember, perhaps 20 or more reloads..

As much as I dislike annealing, its a big time money saver for high dollar and rare caliber brass..otherwise buy ammo shoot it 4 times, trim it and shoot those until problems start, toss it and buy another couple of hundred is best..

Also you can buy 10.75x68 new (reformed) cases from Buffalo Arms Co. In fact you can buy damn near anything from those folks..and they stand behind their products. New 10.75x68 is $219.00 per hundred..Seems expensive to some so if that's the case its probably best to shoot another caliber or have an annealer..

Yes you can shoot 423 Dakotas in the 10.75x68. Its a tad short, The negative to that is throat build up is said to cause erosion??, which is more of someones imagination than fact with normal maintenance. I delt with that so called problem with a 35 Whelan and in a 270 shooing 06 brass, cleaned the chanbers and barrels about like normal and with me that's not over cleaning, and never shot the throat out of either, In fact as a hunter who shoots a lot Ive never shot the throat out of a rifle. that takes a lot of abuse or lots of hot loads in certain rifles..I suspect a true varmint hunter can shoot the throat out, or a target bench rester can, but not a hunter..In my case I figure Id trade it off anyway way before the barrel was even questionable.

If you ever shoot the throat out of a big bore text me from your room in the charity ward..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120