New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a lot of Nosler 270 Win brass. Love Nosler/Norma brass. I can’t find 35 Whelen brass. I have been ordered to quarantine.

Can I make 35 Whelen brass from the 270 Win brass like you can with 30/06. I believe this will not work bc 270 Win brass is longer w different shoulder placement.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .270 and .30-06 have the same nominal case head to shoulder length. It is the .280 Rem that has a longer case head to shoulder length (~0.050”) to prevent it from being negligently chambered in A .270 Win and fired.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you have any reservations about any brass, it is best to first neck it up to something larger, than what you want to end up with, and FL resize, (forming a new shoulder).
For example, when making 400 Whelen you have to first neck it up to .458 to get a proper shoulder.
Yours, go to 375, but actually, you can just expand the neck to 35 and be fine. Unless your chamber is longer than normal, or your brass is shorter. Try some and see.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I have had a few necks split on me going from .27 cal to .35 cal. If I recall I think it was Federal brass that was the worst offender. It might help to use an intermediary cal first but I get enough free.270 and 30-06 brass that I can stand to loose a few in the process.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then don't use federal brass. I routinely go from 30 to 45 and back to 40 and rarely lose any brass; I use mostly LC match. I do go to 375 first though. You could anneal first.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have beaucoup of LC brass as well + it makes for a good parent case for the wildcats. I load 35 Whelen for my preacher friend + have never had any issue resizing 270 or 30/06 brass to 35 in just one press stroke. Well lubed of course, but that goes without saying.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thank everyone for their response. I am will start in the morning.

DPCD: I know we disagree in the 6.5 Creedmore and 270 Win, but I will be the first to say you have forgotten more than I know. I especially appreciate your response.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I fool a lot of people that way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
DPCD: I know we disagree in the 6.5 Creedmore and 270 Win, but I will be the first to say you have forgotten more than I know. I especially appreciate your response.
^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have purchased 1,000s of National Match 30/06 pull down/never fired cases from Pat’s reloading in Ohio. First thing I would do when I returned home was neck up 400 of the 30/06 cases to 338 Winchester or 35 Whelen; I knew I was going to use them, I just did not know when.

Before that I tried everything, most with success; the cases that split with over 50% failures were nickel plated anything so it was cheaper to use cases that cost 7 cents each.

280 Remington cases: The 280 Remington cases are .051” longer from the datum line to the case head than the 30/06 case when measured from the same place. There were times I would use the 280 cases to off set the .050” in case length when neck sizing and forming.

From beginning to end I lost .035” in length when necking a 30/06 case up to 35 Whelen; when I went from 30/06 to 30 Gibbs the case shortened .045”. That does not seem like much but the 30 Gibbs neck is .217” long from the shoulder/neck juncture to the mouth of the case that is a short neck. The 270 Winchester case was a better choice when off setting the effects of forming.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a lot of Nosler 270 Win brass. Love Nosler/Norma brass. I can’t find 35 Whelen brass.

Remington was the only component manufacturer that made cases for reloaders that knew what they were doing. R-P made cases that were stamped 35 Whelen. The cases were identified as being 'cylinder brass. The cases were straight wall and 2.650" long. Seems they sold the cases for $35.00 for a box of 20.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently found some 35 Whalen brass at Graf and Sons, it was Norma and pretty pricey. Still show to have it in stock.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a few years ago I bought 500 7mm and 300
RUM cases at a buck each.

Necking them up to 35's, split 7 of ten.
Played a bit and ended up splitting 47 before
I got the torch and my head out.

Having the argument many times over quenching
or air cooling. I decided to do a test of 20
each.

The first 4 quenched split. F that! Not a single
one of the other 453 air cooled split.

That's the only time I've ever annealed brass.

Just my "but once" experience.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thank everyone for their response. I am will start in the morning.

Man, if we all agreed this would be a boring place. As long as we are civil, disagreements are to be expected.

DPCD has contributed a lot to this site.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a lot of Nosler 270 Win brass. Love Nosler/Norma brass. I can’t find 35 Whelen brass.

There’s currently enough Nosler .35 Whelen brass on Gunbroker to shoot out multiple barrels...

Posts: 1235 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does “non blem factory over run” mean?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does “non blem factory over run” mean?

someone hit 17,000 rather than 15,000 batch run size?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:What does “non blem factory over run” mean?

I do not know; I was at Hornady when I wanted blemished .765/.311 bullets, they scooped bullets our of the .311 bin and then poured them in a sack. I do not remember of they weighed them or counted them.

F. Guffey

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot thousands of Nosler blems for years from .22 up to .358 calibers. I see no difference between them and first run bullets as to accuracy or performance on animals. Occasionally Nosler has over runs on first run bullets for various reasons and will put them up for sale at very reasonable prices. I stocked up on .277 160 grain Partition first run bullets at $15.00 per box years ago and it is my go to Elk bullet. I managed to buy 25 box’s then Nosler started to limit purchases to each buyer. The Nosler guys told me at a NRA convention said they always shoot them. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. T