New
Find
Notify
Tools

284 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a .284 Win with accuracy work done and a Shillen barrel. Because of the length of the magazine I can't seat bullets within a mile of the rifling. What kind of accuracy is reasonable to achieve with good reloading technique?

------------------

Posts: 34 | Location: Kirksville, MO | Registered: 17 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
If this is a bolt gun you should be able to get .5 to .75 MOA with the right load - maybe a lot better. Pay attention to the neck expander ball, (polish it and keep it clean and lubed) consistent bullet retention forces will be very important. I would try using a water soluble lube that can be washed out of the necks after neck sizing.

Most of my rifles are this way, and some shoot very well. I do not consider it much of a handicap unless you want benchrest or 1000 yard accuracy.

The only .284 I had was a lever action, two inches was all I could get with it.

Don

<1LoneWolf>
posted
I get good hunting accuracy from weatherby rifles and they have a long free bore. In a hunting rifle I don't usually get right on top of the lands anyway, standard lenghts will shoot well. That's a generalization.

For a match gun, obviously sneaking up on the lands is preferred. But in a hunting situation and with a nice set up like you have, you should get a load grouping better than you'll need for hunting. I think, with a shilen barrel and with the work being done competently, you'll find 3/4 to be the poor side for your firearm's capability.

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
BB -
What rifle is it? If it's a Model 70 long action set up as a short action (it will have a stamped metal piece in the magazine to limit o'all length), you may be able to do some things to allow use of the longer overall length your barrel is throated for. I just went through this exact thing with an M70, so, I can save you some major headaches if that's what you have.
Mine would not shoot for beans with the long throat/short o'all length arrangement.
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a short action, originally a 7mm-08 I bought it new for the .284 Win. Have reloaded for years but just recently got into the real accuracy of it.

Posts: 34 | Location: Kirksville, MO | Registered: 17 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BB I have a 284 in a Savage 99 c. When I first started loading for it 2in groups @ 100 yds was the best I could get.Bullets were a mile from the rifling also.I was checking some seating depths with different bullets and found that the Speer 145 gr could be seated close to the rifling and still function through the magazine.Found both 4350 and 4831 gave better groups than I was getting before.Best group was with a near max load of 4831(an inch @ 100 yds).Thats all that rifle has tasted since.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote