New
Find
Notify
Tools

.505 Gibbs hangfire/misfire
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to work up hunting loads for my .505 Gibbs and am having a problem with hangfire/misfires on about 40% of the cartridges.
I've been reloading since 1978, load for about 25 different guns and this is the first time I've had a problem like this I can't resolve. I suspect the CCI Magnum primers just aren't hot enough since the broken down loads show clumps of powder, some with a "scorched" appearance. I've always heard that Federal 215M primers are "hotter" but they seem to be as elusive as unicorns. No one I've visited or called in North Texas has any and the real gun shops (as opposed to Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy, etc.)say these primers have been backordered for several months.
So...any ideas from those of you that have experience with this caliber? Primers? Powder? Dumbassness? I've tried these powders: RL 22, RL 25, H1000, IMR 7828 and IMR 7828ssc. All with Barnes 525 gr or A-Square 525 gr bullets. I welcome any and all comment or suggestions.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using a load which fills the case to the base of the bullet? It sounds as though you might have a good deal of air space. I have used loads around 145 grains of H4831, which produce velocities around 2150 fps using a 570 grain bullet, with no such difficulties.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The case for the Gibbs is so large virtually any load will require a filler . . . either poly or a foam wad. Are you using any filler Karl?

My load data shows that I was using 106-108 grains of RL15 with 600 grain Woodleighs and used 5 grains of poly.

Mike

Posts: 21091 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in a like case, the 500 jeffe, i decided my practice loads didn't NEED federal 215s .. so used WLR primers .. and had MANY hang fires, which is pretty exciting to hold on target for 30 seconds and have NO idea WHEN it was going to go off.

fed 215 primers -- and if you are less than 85% case, use a filler

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are not developing enough pressure to burn the powder; it is not the primer. Need to address the pressure, by doing what they said above.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Very interesting post,I am left wondering what the load density was?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Those super slow powders the OP is using might not be suitable for a 505. They seem slow to me but I do not load for it. I think RL 19 or even 15 would be better.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, my wife found some Fed large rifle magnum match primers today, no idea how many places she called but she found them, dealer said he received them yesterday (Gunmaster in Plano, Tx if anyone is interested) and that solved the problem, pull the trigger and there is no doubt the hangfire problem is gone.
For those asking about load density, ranged from 98% to 102% straight from the Barnes Manual.
I believe I will load a few with CCI 250's and a tuft of dacron just to see if that works as well.
There are some loads in the AR reloading data section using RL 15 with 4 or 5 grans of dacron, might try a few of those too, especially with 600 gr Barnes.
Thanks again!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruno's has 215's in stock, I hoarded more last week. http://www.brunoshooters.com/c...primers_federal.html

I use 215M in all my magnum cartridges, no hang fires.

Mark

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Statistically not a large sample, but loaded five 600 gr Barnes RN Solids with 100 gr of RL 15 and 5 grains of dacron, using CCI 250 LR Mag primers, all worked as advertised and the recoil suggested all of the powder was burned. I'm thinking my earlier problem was due to excessive space in the case...I think I'll stick with the Federal primers on this caliber, though.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grahame Wright’s book or the Woodliegh book state that with the 505 Gibbs you should use a filler with medium burning powders like RE 15,4350 ect, sorry I can’t remember off hand which.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 263 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote