New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case lube?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have to resize about 4000, 5.56 cases. I normally use rcbs case lube on a pad, 10-15 at a time. I am looking for a method that would be as good, only faster. If you have a method that would be as good, yet faster please inform me.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
For that many cases, I'd buy a carbide size die.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need to buy a die just use a good spray lube or make your own.

There is a recipe for making your own here and it is cheap.

I use midway in the pump bottle and one is enough to do a lot of cases.

I most likely well make my own after the ones I have run out but that well be a long time yet.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the search suggestion, (I should have thought of that).
Looks like the Castor oil will be tried first.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried 'em all.... and have settled on vegetable coking oil spray- olive oil, canola oil- it doesn't seem to matter much. Put the cases into a plastic bucket, give 'em a spritz and a good shaking, and you're ready to resize.

To remove the excess oil afterward, cut the leg off an old pair of blue jeans, sew one end closed to form a long pouch, throw the cases in and roll them around. Takes the oil right off. This also works well for removing excess bullet lube when loading cast boolets.

When the pants leg becomes loaded with oil, throw it in the washer. Good as new!

Yes- I'm cheap. But it works better than any of the commercial lubes I've tried.

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I use Imperial wax on all of my small batch loadings of about 100 or less.

That being said, I use Hornady One Shot spray lube when I'm loading batches of .223 in one of my progressive presses.

I dump about 500 at a time into a large plastic mixing bowl and spray them down wet then I use a motion much like panning for gold and spray them some more if needed. Continue swirling the brass to distribute the lube evenly and speed the evaporation of the carrying agent.....then load.....repeat

I use a giant plastic bowl that can be found at Walmart in the kitchen area for a couple bucks

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I use one shot, for batches of 50 or 100 rifle. If had that many case too do I would own a set of carbide die.
I load aprox 7 to 10k of 38spcl a year and I use carbide. real good investment for me

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the spray lubes would be the way to go, and there are several options there. One Shot claims to not require cleaning (won't mess up primers) so that might save some time. The DIY lanolin spray works well too, but you may want to wash the cases after sizing to get the lube off.

Are you using a progressive press?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One Shot claims to not require cleaning

I found one shot works well but stopped buying it when I had to many half empty cans around that wouldn't spray any more.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I use the Hornady one-shot. dump the cases in a large tupperware tray, spray, shake, spray. shake and size away...

the number of cases you do at a time is governed by the size of your tupperware tub.. I try not to put so many cases in the tub that would make more than one layer.. usually about 150 at a time for me..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use home made case lube of lanolin and alcohol for my bulk sizing of Lake City cases.

I put the cases in a large zip lock bag and then spray and massage the bag to spread the lube.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigrdp51:
I use home made case lube of lanolin and alcohol for my bulk sizing of Lake City cases.

I put the cases in a large zip lock bag and then spray and massage the bag to spread the lube.

Same here.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
4K is a bunch! If it was me I would set up my Dillon with only the sizing die in. Lay out a row of a couple hundred necks facing one way and hit them with Dillon spray case lube giving the inside of the necks a good shot, put in a plastic tub and shake the bunch of 4K around. Wash & clean after I size the batch them inspect & sort again.

Have fun. Inspect the process often, large batch's are easy to get in a pickle.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
Originally posted by bigrdp51:

Same here.

You must be almost as smart, good looking and modest as I am.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheap and easy!
In a 10" x 10" x 4" Tupperware bowl I put 3 handfuls of brass, 2 pumps of PAM non-aerosol vegetable oil. Another 3 handfuls of brass, another 2 pumps. put lid onto bowl, shake and roll thoroughly. All cases are lubed sufficiently and runs through die with no problem.
Yes, I will clean the brass a second time now but that is no problem.
Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finished this lot of brass.
Here are my statistics:
Approximately 6 +/- hrs.
4000 cases sized in single stage press.
Approximately 10-11 cases sized per minute.

I am pleased with the results.
Thank you for your suggestions,

Doug

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you knocked it out, but I was going to add something.
If you wet tumble your brass, try using Armor All wash and wax soap in your tumbler instead of dish soap.
It leaves a nice waxy film on the brass. I've done pistol brass without lube when using it and it works smoothly. Haven't tried 556 brass with it yet though.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Some interesting ideas here. Always good to find an economic (read cheap)way to do things.I have used the oil on bulk runs.The point here is that there are so many items that we use daily that can be purchased as the base product. 2 cases in point. #1= tandy's leather cement. It is formica cement sold in little bottles for a grand profit. #2 (your wives are love this) Nail polish remover is MEK, (methyl ethyl ketone)+ can be purchased by the gallon at your local chem. store.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I also consider how easy it is to clean up after sizing. Most oils work well but are difficult to get off after sizing and most reloaders will tumble their brass to get them clean. Spray cooking oils are the same, so my favorite easy to use is the lanolin/alcohol mix (get 90% alcohol as 70% has too much water that won't evaporate). Lanolin left on cases after sizing is easily removed and I don't mind handling the lanolin coated brass (keeps my hands so soft Big Grin) . Another method I use for lubing a lot of brass at one time is Mink Oil Boot Dressing cream. Toss a bunch of brass in a large plastic bag 100-200, use a teaspoon full of MOBD and squish the bag to coat all the cases. This method has worked for me with batches of LC brass both 30-06 and 5.56...

My Anchor holds...

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Oregon Coast | Registered: 03 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Wiping down the cases is really not that time consuming (especially when you are doing something you enjoy).It is an American tendency to always try for a faster + more effient method.It draws to mind the character of Orr in "Catch 22"

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drm-hp:
I finished this lot of brass.
Here are my statistics:
Approximately 6 +/- hrs.
4000 cases sized in single stage press.
Approximately 10-11 cases sized per minute.

I am pleased with the results.
Thank you for your suggestions,

Doug

This is why I use a progressive press for. 223/5.56

4 more pulls of the handle and you would have had 4000k loaded rounds.....finished and done

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MEK ? The better carburetor cleaners have a good bit of MEK , it works ! BUT MEK is a powerful chemical and should be handled very carefully !! It's dangerous especially to the liver .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a quart of MEK.
Cost me $8!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I have the time Hornady Unique Case Lube
Otherwise, Dillon spray
Neither has ever failed

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson

Posts: 6 | Location: Color Me Gone | Registered: 01 October 2017Reply With Quote