Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand reload question
 Login/Join

posted
I loaded some loads using the hornady handbook and want to ask if the loads are okay or to hot if someone could help me out?
168gr BTHP rounds with 48.4 grains of W 748 to much?
150gn FMJ/BT rounds with 46.4 grains H 335?
any help would be great.

Posts: 4 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: 19 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hornady and Sierra have loads specifically for gas operated rifles. as I recall, without looking.
Realize that a 30-06 is not the same as the 30 MI, as far as loads and pressures go.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I shoot 147-149gr bullets and load to on the light side, I believe the rule of thumb is to stay under 50K cup.
I use IMR4895 or IMR4064. Mine cycles just fine.
Around here it quite an expense to replace an OP-ROD. If you can get one

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Your 168 gr load is a bit too hot.

47.5 grs of W-748, Sierra 168 gr match kings, Lake City brass, seated out until the bullet tips just barely rub the inside front of the mag well.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw someone crony some mil 06 loads they were only going 2650 out of the Garand he was shooting

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds about right they were specced for 2700.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is what I am saying; a 150 at 2700 is the M2 ball load; it is not the same as a commercial 30-06. Much lower pressure, and lower port pressure which is the bad thing for your operating rod.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I recall in the 80s when there was a lot of the Blue Sky imports that there were a lot of op rod problems from folks that shot factory 06. Might have been an op rod problem but I have always kept mine lower when using them in the M1.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for responding to my question, I'm still on the fence about what to do so, with that I guess I'm dumping some powder and doing what I didn't want to do.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
My 7.62 x 51 Garand was built for Service Match; does anyone know if they compensated for the higher pressures back in the day? I.E. port size?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
article in October 2018 edition of handloader magazine by barsness recommended 47.5 gr varget,47.o gr imr 4895,47.5 rl-15,47.5 imr-4064 with 168 gr berger bullets in that particular m-1. be cautious tho

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Having built a lot of 7.62 M1s; yes the gas port has to be larger than a .30.
Or it won't function.
Like from .078 to .100; don't use those numbers; they are from memory and I have not done one for a year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave: I have in front of me an article from American Rifleman, March 1986, RELOADING FOR THE M1 RIFLE, by John R. Clarke, that has M1 748 data. For the 168 Sierra International HPBT bullets he lists:

Win. 748 47.5 grains, Fed. case, WLR primer, for 2593 fps.

Win. 748 47.5 grains, LC Match case, WLR primer, for 2587 fps.

I have an extra copy of the article if you'd like it. PM me for snail mail.

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those loads may be too hot in your rifle. They are maximum loads listed in the Hornady Handbook.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I load 150 g SSTs w/ H4895. 43.5g, if I recall correctly.
I don't have access to my loads, books, or the rigle at the moment.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
DaveM I see you only have 3 posts.
Welcome to the forum.
How long have you been loading?
From the sound of it not long.
Taking a max load from any book as a first load is not the way to go.
Best to start with the lowest load and work up.
The mx load in the rifle the book used, the components they used are not the same as you used. All these things can make a safe load an unsafe load.
In a bolt gun or universal receiver as most books use they can load hotter than your M1 can handle. Will they blow up the rifle, no, but they will cause issues. As mentioned the op rod gets bent.
A lot of books have one section for the 30-06 and another for the m1 Garand.
The M1 works best with midrange powders at mid range velocity.
The Slower powders that can get higher velocity create too high a port pressure. This over stress the action. The weak link is the op rod.
As the pressure pushes the op rod back to cycle the action it reaches the most rearward of its movement the bolt stops moving. At higher pressure the rod tries to keep moving. One end can and the other can't, so it bends.
So keep your loads at recommended levels and you will get proper function and accuracy.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Leo,
Thank you for that info and is it that obvious that I'm new to reloading.
I had taken all that in and have pulled several bullet's with only to reload them again, I would have never known what damage I could have done.
A dumb question is a question that isn't asked.
Thanks again.
Dave McGlothlen...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WIN 748 41.1 gr. 42.9 gr. 44.8 gr. 46.6 gr. 48.4 gr.

This is from the Hornady 10th edition reloading manual and the bullet is their 168 grain boattail match. This is specifically for the M1 Garand and the 48.4 grains is max in the red.

If you're worried about your pressures and op rod buy yourself a Schuster DCM adjust gas plug valve and be worry free. Here's the link:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100471950

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Notice when dpcd mentioned doing 7.62's he had to open the gas port hole up. Mind you all the 7.62 NATO does not run nearly as high pressure as the 308 Winchester and should you have such an M1 Garand you shouldn't should 308 Winchester pressure loads in it.