Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 winchester silver tip ammo
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to duplicate the 180 gr. and 200 gr. winchester sivertip ammo.
anyone have these recipes?

cheers

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I don't, but i know someone who will tell you

https://www.hodgdonreloading.c...ter?rdc=true&type=54

winchester used to give away a reloading booklet in the stores, that let you match power and load

to match winchester ammo, select 748 and 760 winchester powders

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you want to match that recipe?

or

Do you really want to shoot those two bullets as accurately as possible out of your gun?

For example, what if the factory ammo 180 silvertip shoots a 1 inch group in your gun and the velocity is 2600 fps, very nice accuracy and good velocity. But, do you want to spend trial and error time trying to find a load with 748 or 760 (assuming that is what they actually used) that gives you 2600 fps

or

Do you want to develop a load with say Varget (a very accurate powder with good velocity for those bullet weights in the 308) and use standard load development techniques that shoots 2/3 of an inch and if the velocity is anywhere around 2600 wouldn't you be happier?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Independant:
I would like to duplicate the 180 gr. and 200 gr. winchester sivertip ammo.
anyone have these recipes?

cheers

Why.

Any load that gives you decent velocity and decent accuracy well do the same job.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have 8 cartridges dating back to the 1960's and they give exceptional accuracy; so why not try to duplicate them?

cheers

posted Hide Post
plus , I found 100 bullets ( 180 gr. sivertips )that I forgot that I had.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Because even if you could identify the Powder, you have no idea if the formula for the powder has changed over the last 50 years.

But what you do know is that the silvertip bullet shoots accurately in your rifle and you are much more likely going to be able to develop an "equivalent load" that is accurate than you are likely to be able to duplicate that load in 50 year old ammo.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Exact oal likely has more to do than fps. I am partial to 748 to match win factory 308 and 358 loads. They used to publish the exact recipe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In years gone by beating factory ammo was not that hard. In terms of velocity and accuracy

Find the right factory load today you will have a hard time beating it.

Depending on the caliber and load beating it by price can be simple in normal times.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta, didn't I just buy those silvertips?? along with a box of 257 silvertips?? but that was just a few days ago? rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
748 is the powder you want in a .308 I use 48 grs in a Savage 99, with a 150 and 165 gr. bullet more in a good bolt action..
Ive been also having good results with CFR-223 and it does clean a barrel, takes awhile but once clean it keeps your bore clean..I used the book max book load minus 2 grs. will work up to max but its so accurate Ive not moved up or chronographed, but its
right up there..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
My factory load came from Ken Waters 180gr silver tip 46gr 748 powder
8 1/2-120 win. primers and brass. His comment was that it duplicated factory load.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
My factory load came from Ken Waters 180gr silver tip 46gr 748 powder
8 1/2-120 win. primers and brass. His comment was that it duplicated factory load.

that's the load I was thinking of using

thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats the load I use also...48.5 with the 150s..46 with the 180s..WW748

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120