Find
Notify
Tools

Old reliable 375 Load
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I leave in less than a month for Namibia for a plains game hunt and I don't know how much shooting time I'm going to get before then so I just loaded up 50 rounds with my standard load of 67.5 grains of IMR 4064 and the 300 grain Barnes TSX. The first three shots off the bench this morning did this.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Checked out and good to go. Also, that is an excellent bullet for everything, I am told. From warthog to buffalo.
Hope you all the best in Namibia.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks acceptable! Big Grin “Now, go forth and kill stuff”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25 yards Frank ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just kidding Frank.
I know you are looking forward to your hunt. You can't go wrong shooting like that.
Wishing you the best.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Grant,

It's Namibia so I set it up for longer ranges, 50 yards! Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 grs of anything will kill PG. I might suggest the 250 gr. Barnes TTSX as that's pretty long range country at times. I would use a 300 H&H, 300 win. etc. with 200 gr. Nosler partitions or Accubonds and save the 375 for Buffalo, and DG..but to each his own on that.After all it is Africa..Your gun will shoot, nice groups. were it mine that's what Id go hunt with for sure.. old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I've had no luck with the 250 TTSX's, I was trying to us the 270 grain LRX but just haven't had the time to work up loads and shoot them enough to be confident in them. I know that I can shoot this load out to 300 yards (I took a zebra at a lasered 301 yards with this load in Namibia in 2008) and that will be as far as I shoot while I'm there.

I've been on the road almost continuously since January for work. I'm home next week then the first week of April I'm in Texas until the 17th and catch my flight to Namibia on the 20th.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I didn't have much luck with the 250TTSX either. After extensive load development, the best it would do was about 1 1/2 which I know is OK but this from a rifle that typically keeps everything well under an inch.
Looks like you are good to go Frank. Have fun!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I didn't have much luck with the 250TTSX either. After extensive load development, the best it would do was about 1 1/2 which I know is OK but this from a rifle that typically keeps everything well under an inch.
Looks like you are good to go Frank. Have fun!

I was just OK with my 100 yard groups with the 250 TTSX (from my AI), but at 300 yards...sub 2”! Go figure! Maybe I try harder @ 300! Wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had never loaded for my 375, electing instead to use the Federal loaded 300 grain Swift A Frames. I was thinking about rechambering mine to a 375 Weatherby, but I had already bought the dies and said well let me see how that goes and then I will decide.

I got a couple of loads from here on AR for the Swift 300 grain bullets, and looked at Nosler's loads for the 270 grain AccuBond. I loaded up some of both and the chronograph and went and shot them.

I tell you I had a smile all over. The Winchester just poured bullets in the bullseye and close to it with essentially all the test loads. I was having a good trigger pulling day and the conditions were just about perfect.

For now I think I am just going to keep shooting it as 375H&H and wait on the Weatherby work. For a little while anyway.

You forget just how accurate bigger bore rifles can be. I had read that here on AR before too. But it sure made an impression on me this time.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no need in shooting bullets that don't satisfy for whatever the reason.

My favorite load in a .375 is The 350 gr. Woodleigh for buffalo and a 300 gr. premium bullet for plainsgame, although the 350 gr. Woodleigh keeps surprising me on how flat it shoots.

Frank, Good luck on your hunt, bring back a black maned Lion, a 50 inch Buffalo, and a 60 plus Kudu..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the online Hodgen data for a 270 TSX in 375 H&H with H4350: +2800 FPS.
I tried the load and it matches what they advertise. You will notice the difference in recoil over RL 15 behind a 270 TSX at 2700 FPS which has been my old standby.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
can't beat that! I use the same bullet/weight and 70.5 gr of varget.

Whacked a few big bears and hogs with this load. Use 250 gr TTSX for Africa plainsgame.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
What happened to all the shots after those first three, minute of pie plate or ten minutes of barn door? Big Grin

After shooting three shots like that first up with a trip to Africa coming up in a month, I wouldn't dare shoot anymore and would come away from the range feeling perfectly satisfied with my rifle, ammo and self, knowing that if I repeat that in Africa or anywhere else I'll have animals on the deck.

I have always maintained that coming away from the range before a hunting trip with a perfect group of three consecutive shots from a cold gun is the ultimate goal. Coming off the range with any doubts, even say perfect groups but the odd flyer, is a situation I hate.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im a accuracy nut, I want at least a one inch consistant rifle and a half inch is even better..

But truth be know, a 2 inch gun will work every bit as well as a rule..Growing up I killed more game without a miss with a pre war mod. 70 with a sawed off barrel that shot 4 inches at 100 with all ammo...I didn't know better then! Roll Eyes

My dad always said most good shots usually wiggle on the target or the animal zigged when he shoulda zagged..Dad was hard to impress.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120