Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hi Power die fit question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted
With enough stay at home time now for me to get into trouble thinking of possible projects, I'm wondering about having a 22 Hi Power built, but with a .224" barrel rather than a .228". No bullets in .228" available anymore, dang.

Anyway. if someone out there has loading dies (preferably RCBS and using Norma 5,6x52R cases) for 22 Hi Power, I would really like to know if the sizing die reduces the neck of a sized round enough to firmly grip .224" bullets. Obviously with the .228" expanding ball removed of course...

Thanks for indulging my curiosity Cool

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.228 bullets are available from Hornady and cutting edge. There are also soft point available from several sources in Europe if you know somone that is traveling.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Hornady used to list a .228" 70 gr bullet just for the Hi Power, but it doesn't appear on their web site anymore, nor do the usual vendors I come across have any. I'm not familiar with cutting edge, I'll check them out, thanks!

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
i'LL CHECK FOR YOU TOMORROW

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Found my dies and using reformed 25-35 brass, yes, my RCBS dies will resize enough to firmly hold a .224" bullet.

You can find the Hornady for sale, especially in classifieds but, it is too long to stabilize in the Original twist. Use the faster 5.6x52R twist rate or faster. I have to trim the tips to get the Hornady to stabilize in my 99.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, thanks for checking that out!

With all the attention now on heavy bullets and fast twists in .22 caliber I thought it would be a perfect time to have a .224" Hi Power built. Looks like I'll take the plunge and get one started, almost certainly on a Ruger No.1 action.

Much appreciated Z! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have S&B 5.6x52r cases and RCBS dies. Resizing the cases without the expander leaves the case mouth opening at .216 with a .012 neck thickness.

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sellier&Bellot sells ,227 bullets for the savage.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of charcoal burner
posted Hide Post
No certain, but wouldn't this basically be a 22 Epps?

Posts: 149 | Location: Wyomin' | Registered: 29 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the .22 Epps, but I am certain I'm not the first one to think of this. It is also very true that there is a host of other more modern .22 cartridges that would do the same job and be a lot simpler; I just have a soft spot in my head for the old ones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found 5.6x52 cases and chambers in their rifles ended up with round shoulders and and split necks in every 99 I owned..My experience has only been with the Savage 99s..grew up with one, belonged to my brother. The specs are slightly different, and although they work for on maybe two firings they split..

I would use the 25-35 case specs and reamer and a 224 neck, size 30-30 brass to .224 as 25-35 brass quality is not good at all, and get a set of dies made to specs..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote