Find
Notify
Tools

Which will shoot the best revisited.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
Finally got to shoot my tests loads for my '06 which included 57 & 57.5grs. H4350 under 168 Amax and MK, and 50grs RE15 with same bullets.
Shooting at 300yds. made for a long day and alot of walking but since the wind was relatively light I thought I'd give it a go at said range. Most groups were in the 2&5/8-3&3/4", while I had one group with the AMAXs and 57grs. H4350 that measured 6&5/8"(2 shots way left) and the load with 50grs. RE15 went .843", one was maybe me, the other a fluke no doubt. I will do a verifing shoot in the near future with last load/group. May shoot at 200 next time since mirage was a bit of a problem yesterday, and 9x Burris could've been a little more powerful at that range, target was a 7" black circle with 1" white dot in middle. With no mirage one will have no problem seeing the white dot.

One thing I couldn't figure out was I also shot my 150BT load which consists of 50.5grs. Varget. This load was hitting 3-4" lower than the 168s with the RE15 @300yds., please explain that one . Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is less initial recoil with the 150gr bullet, and if the muzzle velocity is higher it spends less time in the barrel and then is less affected by the muzzle lift due to the recoil.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jay, I agree with Duanein about the Recoil lifting the barrel more with the slower(heavier) bullets.

That said, it could just as easily be related to the different Barrel Harmonic created by the other loads.

Nearly forgot, I agree about the 9x. Slap a bit more Power on it and try your best to be ready to shoot at sunrise. I also prefer to shoot at the corner of a Black Square, because I only have to align two lines rather than the 4-quarters of a circle.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. Aside from the load with 57grs. H4350, (like to think the 2 shots that went way left were in the middle where thay should've been) I'd have to say the AMAXs shot the best. But being that I was using a 9x scope and a bit of mirage was in the equasion it wasn't the most precise test I could've done. May load up some more MKs and seat the bullet to just kiss the lands instead of .010" off(AMAXs seated to just kiss, barely) and will shoot at my usual squares @100yds. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote