New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillion RL 550B vs. XL 650
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have always loaded on a single stage press and I would like to step up to a progressive press for all of my handgun ammo and some of my rifle ammo. I am looking at these two Dillion presses and having a hard time figuring out the key differences between them and what makes one much better than the other. I can see that the 650 has a much faster rate of loading than the 550, though I think the 550 would seem like light speed compared to how I load pistol ammo now.

The 650 is $100 more and the conversion kits are also a good bit more expensive. I am looking for some opinion on the two units from folks that have owned or used both of them.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 550 because it has a much better priming system, is plenty fast and is much easier on calibre changes.

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i prefer th 550 as well,and very much agree with mike a on the primer system (easier to change over) the caliber conversions on the 550 are quicker to change over as well. dillion started shipping a case feeder this year for the 550.i cant wait to afford the case feeder for my 550. the only differance other than price, is the 650 has more moving parts and will produce a few more rounds an hour. i am happy with the speed of my 550

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had a 450 550 and 650 - the 650 is heads and shoulders the best of the bunch. don't forget on the caliber changes that one change may fit several calibers. (i.e. 38/357, 40s&w & 10mm,etc.)

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 550 is the most practical for most peoples needs. The 650 auto indexes. The 650 costs more in just about every aspect. Do a search for dillon. I believe the the web page is brian enos. This site has all kinds of info,from guys that actually use the equipment daily.