Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS seater die is not long enough
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted
I have a new set of RCBS dies for a .404 Jeffery. When adjusting the die itself to crimp the case I am out of room with the bullet seater adjustment, (completely at the top). I cannot crimp the cases without seating the bullet too deep. Trying to load 400 grain solids.

Am I missing something here?

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I never crimp rifle cartridges unless they go in a tubular mag. You should have plenty of neck tension without a crimp.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tim416:
I have a new set of RCBS dies for a .404 Jeffery. When adjusting the die itself to crimp the case I am out of room with the bullet seater adjustment, (completely at the top). I cannot crimp the cases without seating the bullet too deep. Trying to load 400 grain solids.

Am I missing something here?

I crimp every rifle round I load for(& revolver)
I do my crimping as another step. Remove the seater stem & crimp away on cartridges I don't have a Lee crimp die for. tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I have RCBS dies for my 404 made for me back in 1978. They are perfect, the bullet seating die actually straightening down the case mouth flare that I apply when seating cast bullets i.e. I do not need to use the crimp feature to achieve this. I do crimp full house loads with jacketed bullets that have a crimping cannelure, I have some RWS 347gr SP bullets that don't have a cannelure so can't crimp the case mouth but the F/L die sizes necks nicely to give very good neck tension.

To answer your question, your bullet seating die has probably been made for the standard profile 404 bullet, i.e. based on the original Kynoch bullet, so may not be able to seat long profile bullets and crimp in one step.

My seating die, pictured below shows the relationship between the cartridge with an RWS solid bullet seated to the crimp cannelure and die backed off slightly to not apply a crimp, as it would sit in the loading press.
When my die is set to crimp there is plenty of adjustment on the bullet seating stem to suit the different bullets, jacketed and cast that I use.

What bullets are you loading, have you tried a standard profile i.e. 400gr round nose solid or soft seated to crimp in the cannelure? Hope this is helpful.

P.S. depth from die mouth to crimping ring in my die is 2.700"

Posts: 3846 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Something to try - Once you have seated the bullets, remove the seating stem from the die. That might give you enough extra length inside the die to accommodate the long rounds and allow you to get to the crimp shoulder.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
Something to try - Once you have seated the bullets, remove the seating stem from the die. That might give you enough extra length inside the die to accommodate the long rounds and allow you to get to the crimp shoulder.

That's my next step. I was just wondering if I was having a senior brain cramp and missing something obvious.

I am loading .400 grain Barnes solid, (these ones are too long. The swift A-Frames offer just enough room.

I always put a slight crimp in my big bores due to recoil. May not be needed but it is the way I have done it for years.

This is the first set of dies I have bought for some time. All of my others, mostly RCBS, have never presented this problem.

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. It is appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On big bores I use a powder that fills the case or almost fills the case..I turn down the expander ball on most big bore dies a thousand or two, to get a tighter purchase on the bullet, most of the time I omit the crimp as part of this process, but if I do crimp it will be ever so slight...

In a doublle rifle load I will do as above but always add a full crimp..nothing like opening a double and have a case pop out sans bullet and powder everywhere..

I had several sets of RCBS dies, they all worked with bullets designed for the 404 Jefferys, that would be most, with the exception of some overly long bullets for larger 40 caliber rifles I suspect..

I had your problem with RCBS and Redding with a 338 Win. trying to use 300 gr. Nosler Accubonds. I ended using a large Magnum Mauser action and a long throated barrel to set the Accubond .338 deep in the case. It was in effect a hot loaded 340 Wby, and it required a crimp and custom dies and it did what I was after, but it wouldn't shoot any other bullet. An endeavor in futility, much preferred a std. 338 loaded with proper bullets..This was many years ago.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
Never ran into it before and I have loaded several longer bullets,(usually solids) in big bores such as .416's and .458, never having the issue. I measured my older .458 dies which are also RCBS and they are over a half inch longer than the new .404 Jeffery dies I just bought. Not much margin for bullet length.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First, I wouldn't crimp unless experience with this load has shown it necessary.

Next, NEVER attempt to both seat the bullet and crimp at the same time. Think about it. If you do you are both seating the bullet deeper while simultaneously attempting to squeeze the case neck against it. This cannot help but scar or deform the bullet.

In order to get a proper crimp, first, back your die off of the shellholder and seat the bullet to the desired depth. After all bullets have been seated, remove the seating stem then screw the die body to the the proper depth in the press to give you the degree of crimp you want. Now you can crimp without the seating stem attempting to push the bullet further into the case against the resistance of the crimp.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tim416:
Never ran into it before and I have loaded several longer bullets,(usually solids) in big bores such as .416's and .458, never having the issue. I measured my older .458 dies which are also RCBS and they are over a half inch longer than the new .404 Jeffery dies I just bought. Not much margin for bullet length.

As a matter of interest what is the length of your RCBS 404 F/L die? My die is 4.25".

Posts: 3846 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lastly I would call RCBS and discuss the problem with them, they seem to bend over backwards to help...A sure option is custom made set of dies, but RCBS no longer does that to my dismay..A gunsmith can cut a die to fit. Ive used Dennis Olson, Plains Mt. for this, much to my satisfaction..RCBS still sells die bodies that are soft, cut your die and harden it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote