New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Puller for 500 Jeff/505 Gibbs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Midway Impact Bullet Puller will not accommodate the large diameters of a 500 Jeff or 505 Gibbs .... Suggestions greatly appreciated as to what type puller these large diameter cases will fit in ??? Looks like a RCBS Collet Bullet Puller may work

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a .458 or .470 collet Forrester as I recall??, I have pretty much of a full set of collets for the puller die..but no .500..Just try what you have and see what work works..At least one of them will work, Ive pulled most big bore bullets at one time or another. They don't always have to match.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes a .50 Collet for their Collet style bullet puller, have never used this style bullet puller will it fit dia of .505 and .510 ??

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
RCBS makes a .50 Collet for their Collet style bullet puller, have never used this style bullet puller will it fit dia of .505 and .510 ??

The RCBS collets will fit other bullet diameters close to what the collet is labelled e.g. I use a 44 cal (.429") collet to pull 404 bullets (.423") which although undersized are gripped extremely well by the 44cal collet.
The 404 has a long neck and good bullet tension but the RCBS puller with 44 cal collet will pull crimped jacketed and cast bullets in the blink of an eye.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have used pliers with electrical tape and my press. then someone told me to make my own mallet, using pvc and shell holder... i made it, didn't love it, .. i took brass to home depot, found PVC that would fit the brass (i forgot the size, as I said, i didn't like), got some T's and thread on tips/caps... i never trust PVC pipe being struck, from the first time I shattered a pipe with a weedwhacker

would be easy enough to make from an alum ingot (from melted cans) .. or brass ... either DO NOT SPARK

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would a puller like this work? There are other calibers, I googled bullet puller pliers.
https://grip-n-pull.com/produc...n-pull-bullet-puller

Posts: 318 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a standard RCBS puller ($23) with their collett ($12) for a .500 S&W for my .505 gibbs. They make a larger one for the .50 BMG but it is much more expensive ($150 and $59 for .510 collett) The problem is that the .500 S&W collett is very fragile and beaks easily. RCBS will send you another on warrany.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I didn't have the RCBS collet puller I would buy the pliers.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For .500+ bullets I use the pliers as jeffeosso, above. I use slip joint pliers with thick leather in the jaws. Next time I will try the electrical tape.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
For .500+ bullets I use the pliers as jeffeosso, above. I use slip joint pliers with thick leather in the jaws. Next time I will try the electrical tape.

I have done the same on the 458 and 460 Wby. With the cannelured bullets I have just put the round up through the press and the side cutters grip in the cannelure pulls them with easy. Ditto for 375 and 378.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monski:
I use a standard RCBS puller ($23) with their collett ($12) for a .500 S&W for my .505 gibbs. They make a larger one for the .50 BMG but it is much more expensive ($150 and $59 for .510 collett) The problem is that the .500 S&W collett is very fragile and beaks easily. RCBS will send you another on warrany.

i've just used the shellholder, and if need, again, I resort to electrical tape

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CH collet type puller with all the collets so I can pull just about any cal. Before I had all the collets I needed to pull some bullets. Didnt want to grip the bullets with pliers and mark them so I used a keyless drill chuck. With the cartridge in the shellholder raise the cartridge through the hole the dies screw into.Tighten the chuck to the bullet and slowly draw the cartridge down. Make sure the chuck fingers centre on the top of the press and pull the bullet. If you have a small drill chuck and the fingers try to go down into the 7/8x14 threads use a 1/2 flat washer on top of the press.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, pliers and tape, leather, etc.
I use a piece of old inner tube.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inner tube. I like that. In the big calibers I don't ever have very many to pull as I just load a few at a time. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many of that caliber do you have to pull??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a "Bionic Wrench" for .470 and .505, has 6 jaw segments that close on the bullet and doesn't mar the bullet. Pretty inexpensive, too, around $15.00. Easily found on Google.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I use a "Bionic Wrench" for .470 and .505, has 6 jaw segments that close on the bullet and doesn't mar the bullet. Pretty inexpensive, too, around $15.00. Easily found on Google.

https://www.amazon.com/Loggerh...6-Inch/dp/B000JPN2QK

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you only have to pull a few what I do is find a pipe or steel tube that just lets the cartridge enter inside it. Put the shell holder on the case, insert in tube, wrap a piece of duct tape over the shell holder and end of tube, wear a glove, and pound on a solid surface such as a solid plate of steel, anvil, etc. If you're concerned about saving the powder put a plug inside the other end. Never falls for me. Remember for only a few.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a late friend that bored out the jaws
on one of those battery post type pliers
for his 505 Gibb's.

Pulled it with the press while gripping
with it. Jaws were quite thin but, it
don't take much.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vzerone, For my 577NE I made an inertia hammer using a pipe. with a threaded cap on both ends and long handle. Worked OK but I got used to the pliers on top of the loading press frame.