Find
Notify
Tools

Oops wrong bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have loaded many 10,000 of cartridges.
Maybe it’s not uncommon, but first for me.
Was loading Hornady 40 grain v max in 223 this morn. Opened a new box of 250 bullets.
Didn’t look closely and grabbed a handful to seat in powdered cases and one of the bullets was actually a 30 cal, 150 grain bullet.
Glad the imposter was not close to a 22 cal.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load enough one well find strange stuff.

Before I moved I had several incomplete jacketed bullets that I found in boxes.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another reason to weigh sort, measure ogives and inspect EVERY bullet...the difference between 22 and 30 cal is relatively obvious, but between 22 and 6mm or 6mm and 6.5 isn't but can cause a BIG ruckus.

I learned a lot about inspection way back in the day when I could buy bullets from Sierra by the pound...I would find all kinds of garbage including cigarette butts, cores of all sizes, bits of lead extrusions and brass, unformed/partially formed slugs, candy wrappers and other garbage...a shovel full was totally cheap and sometimes I even got a few good bullets.

I learned a lesson a minute...lessons you can't learn on the net because stuff like we did in the early days just isn't happening in today's "clean" world, and hardly anyone ever really experiments for themselves as all that "stuff" is done by the manufacturers and is relatively hidden from the net.

A big loss to the reloading community.

LUCK beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
stuff like we did in the early days just isn't happening

One just has to search you tube to find all kinds of weird stuff being shot, loaded and played with.

Things I thought of but would never do someone is has doing it and placing the video on you tube.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who set up and now runs for the company, an ammo manufacturing facility. They sell a lot of 223 ammo. He had a customer send back some ammo saying it "blew his AR 15 up." He also sent the bullet that did the deed. It weighed 130 grains and was about 1.5" long. My buddy said, "by any chance do you have a 300 blackout?" Yup. how he did it we will never know but it was a 30 Caliber slug swaged down to .223 that the customer had extracted out of the blown up barrel.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found a heavier bullet in a box of Hornady's a few years back. Worried about an unsafe condition (same caliber) I returned to a tech at Hornady. He laughed and put it on his shelf with a collection of others. Confused

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1054 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a .375 bullet in a box of .366 bullets.

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
Found a heavier bullet in a box of Hornady's a few years back. Worried about an unsafe condition (same caliber) I returned to a tech at Hornady. He laughed and put it on his shelf with a collection of others. Confused

well shit happens...... the first time i shot my handloads over a chrony i was amazed my handloaded ammo shot at half the S D of factory loads...... my handloading mentor said "well they should.. they were not spit out a hundred a minute but carefully handcrafted one at a time"... since starting handloading about 35 years ago i have had all sorts of screw ups and about all of them were self inflicted.........