THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Anyone have experience using RCBS sidewindeer liquid media case cleaner

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience using RCBS sidewindeer liquid media case cleaner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've not used "RCBS Sidewinder Liquid Media Case Cleaner" contentrate chemical yet as I have noticed the liquid in its original package separates like oil and vinegar salad dressing.
The top layer (about one forth of the bottle) gets quit solid in the bottle. I really have to shake it up to mix the stuff, then it separates out to layers again immediately. It this normal for this product?

I'am just getting into reloading. I've been slowly buy all the equipment I will need but have not yet bought a case cleaning machine (have not yet decided which type yet vibratory, rotary, ultra sonic).

So far I have just been wiping the outside of the cartridge cases with a "Krazy Koth" to polish them and then brush out the inside under runing water.

The cases get cleaned of grit but the inside of the case allways stays stained black.

I bought some "RCBS Sidewinder Liquid Media Case Cleaner" contentrate.
I thought I could put the cases in a plastic bottle and roll it back and forth with my foot for a half an hour or so while study my reloading manuals. Basically simulating the action of the RCBS sidewider without the expense. If it works I might get this RCBS unit. I'am hopeing the cases get shiny on the inside too. Anyone out there with experience with this chemical used in a rotary tumbler?

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board and reloading games both.

Never tried that liquid. Just might work, give it a try and see the results. Don't sound right that it separates that quick though.

Get on: www.rcbs.com and ask them about it.

Far as the case cleaner. IF you go with a vibrator type. You can't beat the quality and price, nor the lifetime warranty from: www.berrysmfg.com

They sell for $50, I had one the motor bolts kept backing out of and tried everything I could think of to lock them back in. Contacted them and they said to ship it back. They sent me a brand new one. Another time I got carried away tightening the lid nut and the top cracked. They sent me two at no charge.

They've expanded product line's since I shopped their site. Used to only have this unit and plated bullets. The rest is newer than my last visit, so can't tell you what else they might have by now. Good honest company I'd back that up anytime. I've used this vibrator about 5 yrs now and that't the only problems I've had.

I shoot thousands of many sizes from 9's to 375H&H, clean all the fired things first, again after sizing, and a nice long polish after they are all loaded. So it gets at least ten hours work a week.

I've never worried about the insides being dirty, main thing is to keep the media out of the primer holes.

Far as media. Get that from: www.powdervalleyinc.com, much cheaper than anyone else has it. Plus, primers and powders too. They're in Kansas, not far from Wichita, Berry's is in the far southend of Utah.

Most acid type cleaners I'd be concerned about it making the brass brittle. make Damned sure that it's made especially for brass cleaning. That way you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use it and it has done the same to me. the best way is run your brass thru walnut( if real dirty) then i run thru corn. i then resize and deprime or use a universal decaper- as the rcbs sidewinder liquid will weld the primer in the case. then i use a rotery case tumbler with the rcbs liquid, water and a handfull of shotgun shot. the cases turn out like new

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Sidewinder and have no problems with it.
I use the liquid for quick clean cases, it should be mentioned the key word is clean and not polished because in my opinion they are not the same. If you want a high polish then the dry media is what you need, not that the Sidewinder doesn't polish the cases but they are not as polished as the dry media gets them. But for quick clean results nothing works like the RCBS liquid, at least I have never found anything. For a really high polish I add some Flitz liquid polish into the dry media which really works well. I have never left the primerss in the cases prior to tumbling because I don't like the idea of having grains of media potentially breaking my decapping pin when they become lodged in the primer flash hole. A few years ago Rifle or Handloader magazine did an article on Tumblers and Vibratory Cleaners for comparrison and the Sidewinder type of cleaners was far and away the quickest method to clean your cases. The cost is higher for these machines but they are worth their cost when you factor in the years of service they will provide and the Sidewinder works with both dry and wet media.
bigbull

Posts: 394 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote