New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 rem. HELP!
 Login/Join

<freezerman>
posted
I bought this rifle(Ruger No.1,24"barrel) to shoot small deer at an approx. max range of 100yds. Anyone have a suggestion on avaible bullets and powder?
I have thought about speers 70gr. with IMR4320, but other suggestions are welcome.

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
First of all, what twist rate do you have? If you have the standard 1-14 twist, the heavy bullets, I am told, will not work. Not that I want to rain on your parade, but we surely do not want any crippled animals.

------------------
Load Hot, Shoot Straight
JoeM

<Doc in Texas>
posted
I just finshed loading my Deer and other big critter load it is a 55gr. Nosler BT "non-varmint" over 39.5grs. of Win.760. out of my 24" Howa 1500 I am getting 3627 FPS.

My girls use it for deer hunting and have taken 6 Does with it. 4 Head shots and 2 shoulder shots with them dropping before taking a step.

This is a Max load so work up slow.

Hornady book has it at 55gr. bullet using

Win.760 Min.35.4 and Max 39.5

Hope this helps.

Doc

<matt wolf>
posted
you might consider the winchester 64 gr. powerpoint. I've gotten good range results with AA 2520, although I've not had a chance to prove this load in the field. Handloader did a good article discussing this topic, and they settled on the plain old Hornady 55 gr. spire point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where in Canada is it legal to shoot deer with a 22 cal, or are we talking Queen's Beef.

RR

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This might sound a bit controversial in the context of this forum, but have you experimented with different factory loads yet to see if your gun shows any preferences?
At that range, 55 grain factory ammo should do the trick.

------------------

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<freezerman>
posted
thanks for the suggestions.
To answer some of the questions, first i haven't checked the twist rate yet, I'll have to do that next. Second in British Columbia we're allowed to use any center fire cartridge for hunting deer. Third I've found Rem. 55gr. PSP bullets give me the tightest grouping out of three brands I've tried in 55gr(3/4"@100yds.). When my new dies arrive I'm hoping to get better results after a little experimenting.

<Rust>
posted
I might recommend the Barnes X bullets, the ones with the coating to reduce fouling. You will be able to get very high velocities with a bullet that will not fall apart, even at point blank.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Freezerman
Sorry for the crack about Queens Beef I hadn't realised any centerfire was legal in BC .
About 30yrs ago I saw several deer shot with a 22-250 with factory ammo. They dropped like they had been shot with Saeed's TRex.
(they probably were QB )

RR

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
<freezerman>
posted
RR
I didn't take it personally. What is the restrictions in Sask. on hunting deer, when I lived in Nova Scotia you weren't aloud to use any cal. smaller than .24, so it's quite a difference out here!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Freezerman
23cal minimum.
RR

<matt wolf>
posted
RR, any centerfire is legal in NB. Sorta scary that I could legally go after a bear or a moose with a hornet. One loophole still open.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt wanna try for a moose with my 17 ackly bee.

RR

<freezerman>
posted
Matt
Are moose open to anyone in NB or by entry draw?

<matt wolf>
posted
freezerman, moose tags are tough to come by in NB. All lottery draw, for a three day season. With tags that hard to come by, I'll rely on my 7mm-08 over the mouse guns. (Then again lots of my friends call my 7mm-08 a mousegun!)Wait till he's cleared the water!

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Freezerman -
Looking at your original post about using the 70 grain Speers in a 22-250, I recall a number of years (25+/-) ago that I loaded a batch of these (with 33 grains IMR 4064, I think -CHECK LATEST MANUAL BEFORE TRYING) in R-P cases and F210 primers for my wife to use in a Rem. 788, 22-250. No chrono, so, I'm not sure what velocity was.
Her dad was laughing that the bullets would bounce off,; why are you using that popgun?; etc... Actually, it was my idea, because I was so glad she wanted to hunt with me and I was worried that the recoil of a larger caliber would sour her on shooting.
Anyway, the accuracy was excellent, and she took two deer with one shot apiece, in the 50 - 75 yard range. Both were hit in the heart/lung area and they dropped like rocks. Damage was pretty complete.
I don't have the gun anymore (stupid), and I'm not sure what the twist rate was, but the 70 grain Speers are pretty stubby, and the gun sure liked them.
Good luck,
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote