New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Subsonic load for 308WIN
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a good subsonic load they would share?

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fooled around a bit just to see what could be done. I used the info I found here : http://www.sniperforums.com/fo...sonic-load-data.html as a guideline.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the range you want to shoot them at. I've used lots of 10gr Red Dot loads. Mostly with 115gr Cast RN's. They're very accurate out to about 200 feet, then the velocity drops off and they lose it. for up close and teaching women and kids how to shoot the big guns without hurting or scaring them. This is a great load.

Good luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss is the go to powder. 9.5 to 10.5 grains. Depending on barrel length and bullet weight.

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Depending on the range you want to shoot them at. I've used lots of 10gr Red Dot loads. Mostly with 115gr Cast RN's

Or even heavier cast bullets work well also

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I went a little different way. I wanted to experiment with rifle powders and pistol powders so I took a fired case, measured it up, drafted it in MasterCam, post processed it and turned these out of Naval Brass. The bullets are a thumb press fit, no resizing needed and the internal capacity is greatly reduced.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies.

Longshot, what bullet are you using for this load?

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Without knowing barrel length and bullet used it's impossible to give meaningfull data.

Hello Mr. mechanic i would like to buy a tire for my car.
So what kind of car is it?
A green one.

I could say: 3½grain of Red Dot with a buckshot or 23grains of Rel-22 with a 220gr Hornady JRN

And neither would be wrong!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longshot:
Trail Boss is the go to powder. 9.5 to 10.5 grains. Depending on barrel length and bullet weight.

about 9.5 grains of Trail Boss with a 165grain cup and core bullet. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
JTex, lots of decent load data but the accuracy tip given to me was to drill out the flash hole to allow maximum ignition. 9/64ths is the number I remember but you may want to google more info. Care must be taken to segregate those cases from normal ones, though. A 61,000 psi load in a normal case could be largely over pressure with an enlarged flash hole.

This was debated when Winchester came out with their lead-less primers in 45 ACP ammo. The primers were colder so they enlarged the flash hole considerably to restore consistency of ignition. If you pick up 45 ACP range brass you'll see the ones with big fat flash holes still. These are perfectly acceptable for handgun reloads because the relative pressure is so much lower than 308 or 7.65 x 51.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
JTex, lots of decent load data but the accuracy tip given to me was to drill out the flash hole to allow maximum ignition. 9/64ths is the number I remember but you may want to google more info. Care must be taken to segregate those cases from normal ones, though. A 61,000 psi load in a normal case could be largely over pressure with an enlarged flash hole.

This was debated when Winchester came out with their lead-less primers in 45 ACP ammo. The primers were colder so they enlarged the flash hole considerably to restore consistency of ignition. If you pick up 45 ACP range brass you'll see the ones with big fat flash holes still. These are perfectly acceptable for handgun reloads because the relative pressure is so much lower than 308 or 7.65 x 51.

IMO Trailboss has obviates the need for drilling out flash holes and the use of pistol powder for subsonic loads in the 308.

You will need to work up as per the data given by the two posters above using trailboss but be aware that jacketed bullets
Won't expand at these velocities and the potential for ricochets is massive, like a giant .22 LR with solids!

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Yes I could have provided more info.......

I want to shoot heavies, 180 to 200 grain. 20 to 24" barrel would like something to be close to moa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
at what range do you intend to shoot these Slow heavy bullets at??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 308 I use approx 6gr Unique under a 165gr cast. My 06 shots the 200gr cast better and is really great to practice with at 100yds 0rovided its not windy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
at what range do you intend to shoot these Slow heavy bullets at??

George

Whatever ranges they will fly George. I really like shooting .22LR out to 200 yards. I would think a 200gr at 1050 would do about the same....

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
trail boss

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote