Find
Notify
Tools

38 special + P loads and powder for 125 XTP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

Before I start, yes I have lots of books and lots of reference available and have loaded a lot for a long time. Big Grin (reading on some Other forums where guys wouldn’t help, but this is accuratereloading so I figure you guys are solid)

I am looking for a defense, plus P, load for Hornady 125 XTP Bullets. I have starline +p brass and this is primarily for a 6” n frame so I’m not worried about full +P. I’m going 38 so I could also if needed use in a 38 rated for +p (Taurus 85).

All that said, I have W231/Hp38, tightgroup and accurate 5, nitro 100nf. Looking at the books A5 seems good for velocity but at higher charge, then again it’s always a heavier charge. From what guys have said the w231 is best performer velocity + accuracy. Because of limited access to ranges for testing right now I wanted to hear from people, between these powders with this bullet what you’ve found best. Try to maximize my time.

I roll all my test loads on my old RCBS jr hand throwing charges till it’s perfected then I’ll transfer to the 550 for cranking them out.

Thanks everyone.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hp38, tightgroup and accurate 5

I like tightgroup or hp38 for my short barrel wheel guns

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read that HP38 and WW 231 are really different lots of the same powder.

231 has always been my go to for standard loadings, but I don't usually use it for high velocity loads. I'd use 231, but about a grain off max which seems to help me with accuracy in revolver loads. I don't load the 125 XTP, so can't help with the right OAL on that bullet.

Tightgroup is too fast for a high velocity load, IMO. It would be good for a moderate velocity accuracy load, and as a fast powder, not as much flash- but it does seem to burn dirty to me.

AA 5 is pretty similar in my experience to 231. If you don't want to use the 231/HP38 load or it isn't what you like, try it. I did use it a bit in my .45 ACP loads, but 231 did a better job for me, so I don't keep it around anymore.

I have no recent experience with Nitro 100 (I used some back when in shotgun, but that was the old formula.)

Hope that helps.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6 gr unique

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old but good most likely can not find any
AL-7 gives me the best 38 velocities

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have loaded blue dot

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

AL-7, now that brings back some old memories! old

I still have about a pound of it in the shiny cardboard 'cans' and use it occasionally for 38s and other old weird cartridges like 9mm Largo. Good powder, burns clean and churns up decent velocities; not much data around anymore (old Speer manuals) and unfortunately not in any loading software of which I'm aware either.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

AL-7, now that brings back some old memories! old

I still have about a pound of it in the shiny cardboard 'cans' and use it occasionally for 38s and other old weird cartridges like 9mm Largo. Good powder, burns clean and churns up decent velocities; not much data around anymore (old Speer manuals) and unfortunately not in any loading software of which I'm aware either.

Back in the 70's I developed some great 357 38spl loads using it.

I thought I was done with it.

Then I was at a gun show pick up a un open can a believe 4 or 5 lbs.

For 3 bucks a lb because it was old and discontinued.

Their loss my gain

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote