New
Find
Notify
Tools

R26 200 GN PARTITION IN THE 06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
R26 has been getting some really great reviews in quite a few different cartridges...I tried a load of 62 gns behind a 200 gn Partition in my 06 and got a vel of 2851...there was no marks on the case head, but there was a very very slight resistance in lifting the bolt at the very top of the bolt lift...I will burn up a tin or two of R26 in april and report back with my data
There are also a few reports/posts floating about with velocities in excess of 2900 with 180 gn partitions and accubonds ... 63/64 gns of R26
Any one here tried any R26 in there 06...if you have post your results

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've not tried it yet but after your "heads up" I think I will.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SS... that would be great , post your results

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Am I just behind the times or are those rather hot loads?

In my day those velocities would have been factory 300 H&H territory - but I know powders are getting better.

Maybe I'm just chicken but I'd be measuring head expansion etc very carefully and scouring the books to find how much is acceptable. IIRC one thou on the solid head (or is it the rim) after the first reload may be too much.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SM
I can understand your concern, but that load of 62 gns is a little bit over, when i drop the charge down to give me a vel of 2800 im on pretty safe ground...as i said im going to do proper testing in april and will report...
part of my testing is to get one case and fire it 10-15 times with the concerned load, and if after 10-15 firings the primer pocket is tight, thats good for me
regards Daniel

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Daniel, I guess keeping primer pockets tight is, in the end, what it's all about. It sounds as though that load is safe enough in your rifle.

Thinking about this matter, I just reread 30 pages of Bob Hagel's Guns, Loads & Hunting Tips, which reminded me that home pressure testing is a can of worms - and measuring rims apparently is not reliable. His method requires dozens of trips to the range to reuse the same filed and marked cases - but I guess you will be putting in the same time to test by primer looseness. For some reason Bob did not mention approaching it from that angle, though.

Maybe if you are committed to that load, get a fired factory round (or two), file a couple of flats on the rims (so the mike won't touch them) and measure the diameter 1mm or less ahead of the extraction cannelure(s). Write down those figures and reload with your chosen powder weight. After firing them, measure the exact same spots again. If further expansion is less than say 0.0005" (five ten-thousandths of an inch), maybe the load is safe and your cases will last a while.
This explanation is just my interpretation of what I've gleaned from Hagel - I am by no means an expert in these things but fear that if you just keep firing that load until the primers drop out you may come to grief.

Does anyone know of a micrometer with jaws fine enough to contact just the rear of solid heads and belts without touching the rim or pressure ring, or even the front of those solid sections?

As a sambar hunter, my inclination 40 years ago was just to get a 338 magnum, load it mildly with heavy bullets and spend the time saved out hunting Smiler. Because my chamber is a little long and I usually full-length resize to ensure a fast second shot, my cases never get to 10 or 15 reloads before splitting necks. I guess annealing might change that but, while cases get long, life is short.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I picked up a pound of R26 to try in my .280 AI with the 162 grn Hornady ELDX

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SM
I have got Bob Hagels books also, and have read them a number of times....i have spoken to him a few times....a lot of his rifles , he had them throated out so he could seat the bullets out further...thus the higher vel
I have gone through the whole gammet of miking case heads....and again it varies from case brand to case brand...where i can, i use Lapua brass , its the best brass available , and thats all i use in the 06
As i said, im going away in April so will report back , with some data on R26 behind the 200 gn partition in the 06, and might shoot a few sambar and see how the load performs

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Good luck, M 98. If the sambar are standing still and not facing too far south, that load should be fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SM
those sambar just seem to run and run no matter how well there hit....infact the only ones that have ever dropped on the spot for me, are the ones i have hit in the spine...the rest have run, i have broken shoulders, made pea soup inside the chest cavity...makes no diffrence
i might try the 375 ruger with the 260 accubonds @3000fps and see how they go

Daniel

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, they do tend to do that. Ken Pearce finds the 458WM reasonably good at stopping them, though.

With a heavy bullet, at least you might find them piled up within a hundred yards or so. With a light one, they might make it to the next county.

I guess 260-grain bullets would be an improvement but I don't know whether they need to go that fast, except for those long-distance shots across gullies. Something with more sectional density might be better in the case of Texas heart shots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SM
i guess its good to speculate, and think of new things,but who knows until you try it
i got my self a box of the 200 LRX So will shoot a few with those, but im not holding my breath
Ishot two sambar with my 416 Ruger with 400 gn cast bullets!!! that was fun!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
As with most new and wonderful powders they blow the top out of them with praise and pressure, then they slowly fade into oblivion and disappear into the sunset with a damaged smokepole..Time will tell on this one..

I can get 2800 with a 180 gr. with several of todays older powders, I get 2700 with the 200 gr. but not much beyond that, and at some pretty high pressure as the 06 is designed for 2700 FPS....I don't need a 100 FPS anyway with the 30-06 and the 180 gr....and the 200 gr. at 2650 FPS is my chosen hunting load..

If I need more then I'll use the 300 magnums.

I may in fact be wrong, and if so I will jump on the band wagon, so keep me informed and give me the pressure data...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
M98,

Where did you find starting load data for 30-06 and 180s?

Thanks,

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MIKE
With 57 gns of R17 behind the 180 gn nosler i get 2900,i had these loads pressure tested.
With R26 i have seen one or two posters report they got 2900 plus with 63.5 and 64 gns of R26...i have not tried this load my self, but will next month and will report back,but with the data i have seen with 200 gn proj i think 63/64 gns will be in the ball park for the 180 gn partition

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
MIKE
With 57 gns of R17 behind the 180 gn nosler i get 2900,i had these loads pressure tested.
With R26 i have seen one or two posters report they got 2900 plus with 63.5 and 64 gns of R26...i have not tried this load my self, but will next month and will report back,but with the data i have seen with 200 gn proj i think 63/64 gns will be in the ball park for the 180 gn partition

What was the pressure for the 180gr load with 57grs of RL-17

Posts: 222 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
it was on the nose of 65,000 psi...i can take a pic of the spread sheet and e mail it over to you if you want ....i get a gut feeling that with the slower burning R26 , your pressure would be lower at the same velocity compared with R17

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
Mike
it was on the nose of 65,000 psi...i can take a pic of the spread sheet and e mail it over to you if you want ....i get a gut feeling that with the slower burning R26 , your pressure would be lower at the same velocity compared with R17

I think I have your load data.....couldn't remember if there was pressure data (I didn't look....my bad). Great stuff.

Posts: 222 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Once again I don't claim any expertise in these matters, just a memory of when CUP and PSI were spoken of as being the same and 65,000 PSI would have been a proof load.

However, the article link h/w seems to speak of SAAMI assigning different safe pressures to various related cartridges, whereby 52,000 CUP/65,000 PSI is OK for the 270 Win, but 50,000/60,000 is max for the .30-06.

Is this simply because some shooters are still using WWI .30-06 rifles?

https://www.shootingsoftware.c...p/psicuparticle2.pdf

PS: some of the figures in Bramwell's table are quite diverting, such as those for the 8mm Remington Magnum, esp. since Wikipedia says SAAMI allows it 65,000 PSI.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SM
yes apparently there are weaker actions around , everything go scaled down as a result