New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma brass, differences lot to lot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I understand Norma brass is about the best you can get. I have bought some in 416 Rigby. It comes dear. If I choose to buy more as finances permit will it come pretty close to being the same? I know with most brands there is significant variation from lot to lot. Does Norma in your experience have tight enough quality control to mix one batch with another or will I have to keep yet another set of boxes for the seperate lots of brass? "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Rust>
posted
There is only one way to be certain, weigh it. Quality control is sufficient with Norma that uniformity should be good from lot to lot, but you will still want to check.

Seriously though, the 416 case is of such capacity that a reasonable hunting load shouldn't be overly affected by variances in a single manufacturers brass.

posted Hide Post
I've always found the Norma brass to be of high quality, with lot variation rarely being an issue. They offer more consistant case length and neck uniformity than most other brands. I do find it "soft", however, which can confuse "max load" determination at times. Good micrometer reading records are needed to refresh ones' memory when switching from Winchester to Norma brass, as an example.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<AK-HUNTER>
posted
D HUNTER- I HAVE RESPONDED TO YOUR ADD IN THE CLASSIFIED FOR SCOPES. ARE YOU INTERESTED?? MORGAN SON OF AK-HUNTER

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

by 'rather soft which confuses max load determination at time' do you mean hard extraction?

I gave up using it in my 6.5x55 because they gave harder extraction even on really quite hum drum loads. Also anything other than complete full length sizing praciticaly locked the bolt. Definately no pressure.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No, I was not thinking of extraction but, now that you make mention of it, I believe you are correct. At the approach of "Max" loads, I can see the Norma brass may be prone to causing "sticky" extraction at lower pressures than a Winchester casing, to stay with our initial comparison.
This falls in line with my intended point that while .0035" expansion at the pressure ring on the Winchester casing is indicative of a maximum or near maximum loading, this same degree of measured expansion on the Norma casing is achieved at less pressure due to the softness (ductility) of the brass and, as such, may not constitute a maximimum loading.
I keep detailed expansion reading records with various brands of brass and compare them to each other when used in the same rifle and components. As I routinely load for maximum performance, I often arrive at this juncture where a determination must be made. I also make comparisons from Lot to Lot and from era to era, meaning the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's etc.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote