New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Buying new brass for reloading my 340wby. Any thoughts on who makes the best? Thanks, Optik1

Posts: 372 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Norma/Weatherby brass for 20 years with zero issues/problems.

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Norma and then Remington. Not too many companies are making Weatherby brass these days.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used WBY (ie., Norma) and Remington for the .300s. Both have served well and given long case life. Remington brass is heavier (less internal capacity). The difference is about like the difference between Winchester .308 Win and Lake City. I use 2 to 3 grains decrement then chrono.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Norma then Nosler brass

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are other good brands but once I got onto Norma brass I stayed with it and never looked back. Here, component availability is sometimes an issue but Norma has always been available when I needed brass. It has good reloading life too. I don't anneal and find I can recycle Norma brass for up to 20 reloads before it's unuseable.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
120 cases of Norma/Weatherby will take care of you, your son, and your grand son.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the .257 Wby and .340 Wby for many years and when this debate started I could not remember what different brass I had used. I looked at all my inventory and I have never used anything but Norma. It has always been great to work with. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma is good but I like Lapua.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I got my first 340 years ago I could not find any Wby brass. So I bought a 100 Remington 375 H&H brass. Once thru the size die, load and shoot. Those cases lasted just fine. I now have Wby brass as well. Wby brass is very good and has slightly more capacity but the Rem brass works fine

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt some brands are better than others, however, my favorite will continue to be the free kind. I can throw a bunch of it away and still be ahead of the game.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I would say Norma. As i recall, Norma is the only brass maker that drills the flash holes.. all others are punched.
If that is still true,it say a lot to me about quality vs production.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy up old stock or once fired RWS when I'm in Germany. Really like it

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RWS is the best of the best, Lapua is next best and its a horse race between them..

I mostly shoot Privi Partisan (PPU) these days as its cheap and its good stuff..I order it from MIdway or grafs & Sons..

PMP if you can find, its heavy stuff and last two lifetimes..

I suspect best brass is too close to call. Favorite brass is opinion..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote