New
Find
Notify
Tools

newbie question
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,
I'm new to reloading and have some questions. Found your site with Google. I am reloading for .243 and have my first 3 rounds with the bullet seated too deeply (the load should be 2.680" according to the manual and they are 2.558", 2.597" and 2.675"). The load is 40.5 grains of IMR4831 under a 90 grain Nosler Accubond with Winchester brass and Federal primer. Is it dangerous to shoot the loads with bullets seated too deeply? Will it adversely affect the pressure? This load is the beginning point in the Nosler manual (4 grains away from MAX).

Thanks for your help,
kstockfo

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldIf what you say is correct, you have no problem from over pressure. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
No problem. Accuracy may be effected just a little due to the "jump" further into the origin of the rifling.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 443 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Affected.
You need to invest in a bullet puller; the inertia kind works well.
In most cases, instances, there will be no problems though. And in your case, no problem.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
What everyone else said. I have forget to reset my seating die before and seated to deep. Instead of pulling the bullet I just used it as a fowler round. At the depths you are talking no it should not create a pressure issue. Going to deep can sometimes.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The good thing about rifle rounds is that if you seat the bullet a little deep it just starts moving earlier. The peak pressure comes when the bullet hits the lands and the pressure has to engrave the bullet. Since the bullet has room to jump to the lands the pressure doesn't peak as quickly.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Good explanation Fjold, you can run it on Quickload and use different seating depths to see your theory in motion.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! Also going to begin loading for handguns (357 and 44).
kstockfo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember too long ago when I was a kid and my Dad gave me a Winchester Model 94 30-30 for deer hunting. Sometimes, after loading the same cartridges in the Model 94 magazine over and over again the factory bullets would end up sticking out the case only about half of their original length. Probably because the factory didn't crimp them as well as they should have.
I shot them anyway when the opportunity presented itself and never had any problems.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kstockfo:
Thanks everyone! Also going to begin loading for handguns (357 and 44).
kstockfo

I highly recommend Alliant 2400 for the 357. Probably good for the 44 as well.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your help. I have more questions... I'm venturing into 357 mag and 44 mag reloads with goal being A) develop my own home-rolled accurate hunting round, and B) killing a whitetail buck with my 44. I bought Hornady dies, Hornady 110 powder, and will buy XTP bullets in 140g or 158g for 357 and 240g for the 44. With that said, here are my questions....

1. Some of my brass has bluish discoloration that did not completely come off after tumbling. Should I use it, or discard it? Some of it is only slightly discolored and I will use those unless someone strongly disagrees and can persuade me to discard them.
2. I have some nickel cases in 357 and 44. Can I treat them just like my brass cases in terms of case prep and reloading and load selection?

Thanks again for all your help,
kstockfo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded tons of discolored brass, and never had an issue. I pitch brass only when the integrity of the brass has been compromised (gauged case mouths, splits, primer pockets that are too large, etc.).

I've loaded lots of nickel too. No problems treating them just like everything else.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote