New
Find
Notify
Tools

.423" Cast lead bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My 404J is nearing completion and I am preparing to load for it. I would like to load 100 or so reduced practice rounds. I have everything needed except inexpensive practice bullets. I've been trying to find some 300 to 400 grain cast lead bullets with no luck.

Anyone know where I might get some?

Thanks.

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just an un related comment; this is why I build 404s with a .410 groove barrel; no longer a 404 but in reality a rimless 450-400.
Then you can use 41 mag bullets in it for plinking, and even up to deer.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
ALEC,
Here is an idea if you only want to do a hundred rounds, no need to buy a mould and lead pot.
John

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876442410

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try the bullshop.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
If I was 7,000 miles closer I would help you out in a flash but alas postage and your firearm regulations don't make it possible to send some 400gr cast 404 bullets to you.

Do you know anyone close and friendly enough to cast bullets for you? A mould is not that expensive, you supply the mould and pay them to cast. I'm sure once you get shooting light cast loads you'll want to shoot more than 100. A mould is a good accessory if ever selling your rifle.

Von Gruff, who posts here at times, cast my last lot of 404 bullets for me. I was too busy with work at the time so sent him my mould and he rattled off a couple of hundred or so for me in no time, even delivered them when up my way promoting his knives.

Von Gruffs 404 cast on the left 380gr, mine on the right 400gr, mine feeds perfectly from the magazine and into the chamber on my Mauser. VG's own design fed well too just not quite as slick.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey Eagle is Von Gruff still messin around with that 7mauser of his?
I lost touch with him over the years.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, eagle27. I've have a lead smelter and could buy moulds... I thought I'd try to find a seller before I dive into a more complex solution.

Where did you get your mould???

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
call ch4d.com tell them that you want to resize jacketed 44 mag bullets for a 404 .. they will have a die set that does that

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman once made a 400 grain mould for 404 Jeff, but I can’t recall the mould number. I have a 100, or so, of them that I got with with a mess of 10.75x68 stuff. They are flat base, but should work well for reduced loads at moderate velocity.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
hey Eagle is Von Gruff still messin around with that 7mauser of his?
I lost touch with him over the years.

Yes he still uses it last time we talked. So busy with his knife business these days and turning out some superb stuff I must say, a very talented person.
He did sell the 404J he made and his cast bullet mould. He does watch on AR but doesn't post much these days.

He visited me last year and I had visited him earlier, his old school workshop an absolute delight to see, unbelievable the quality of work he produces out of that workshop, I really envy his skill and eye for detail. Sorry we don't live closer where we could get some hunting in around the great area where he lives, I have thoroughly enjoyed his company and hospitality.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
Thank you, eagle27. I've have a lead smelter and could buy moulds... I thought I'd try to find a seller before I dive into a more complex solution.

Where did you get your mould???

AT

It's an original Richard Hoch made nose pour mould, that he made for me in April 1984, quite heavily constructed and produces a nice bullet with a perfect base.

Re jeffeosso's suggestion of swaging 44cal bullets, my friend and I did that in Germany where we were swaging 265gr 44cal Hornady bullets down to .423" to load for his little 24" barreled 10.75 x 47G Belgian double rifle. We got them regulating quite well at a velocity of 1590fps.