New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon xl750
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking of buying one these, any feed back would be appreciated..
Is the caliber's easy to change, how accurate is the powder throw..etc, etc.

Regards in advance.
Griff

Posts: 1178 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it'll be as fast to change as a 550,, unless you have the case feeder etc. hooked to it.

I'm still running a 650 and 4-550's, but will upgrade to the 750 if they ever have any frames available.

anyway, a changeover is two pins and a bolt to change out the shell plate.
if you have a feeder you have to re-set it after swapping out the pieces.
if your changing out primer sizes it's a quick swap of a tube [inside the main tube, you tip it over] and the primer slide [2 hex bolts] that hold the tube housing on.

yeah I have 4-550's, one for each primer size.
I can do a full caliber swap in maybe 6-7 minutes if I have all the parts sitting there.

the 650 is kind of a pain when it comes to the primer wheel.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True. I have a 650 also with the case hopper. You will need to get the different plates that fit your brass. It is relatively easy to do a caliber change out but takes some time. I usually wait until I'm going to do a production run, then do the caliber change. I'm very happy with my 650 + everyone I know who bought the 750 are pleased as well; can't say the same thing for the Hornady Loc-n-load.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,was there not an issue with the primer wheel, or was that the MK7.

Regards
G

Posts: 1178 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
True. I have a 650 also with the case hopper. You will need to get the different plates that fit your brass. It is relatively easy to do a caliber change out but takes some time. I usually wait until I'm going to do a production run, then do the caliber change. I'm very happy with my 650 + everyone I know who bought the 750 are pleased as well; can't say the same thing for the Hornady Loc-n-load.

i can say, and have said, lots of things about the loc-n-lose. none of it good.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the wheel worked it just had hiccups every so often, and it was hard to keep an eye on.

the 550-750 slide allows you to slightly hesitate and look directly at the primer after it leaves the pickup.

it's just a slight slow down once you get used to the movements.

I actually modified the primer advance on my 650 because I run too many other presses where the hand motions need my right hand doing something besides just pulling the handle.

I modified it so I flick the advance pawl by hand which also allows me to also look at the primers on the wheel.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep an eye on these things as well. Whether it be the primer rotary, the powder measure safety, or the primer tube devices, both of the latter I have sensors on but I ALWAYS look at all of the stations everytime. Slower, yes, but I am more comfortable doing this + I'm not in a race anyway.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's actually smooth and steady once you get some practice.
I don't think too many people are gonna notice 10 fewer loaded rounds in that ammo can.
or that it took 15 more minutes to load 300 rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed; the older I get, the less I get in a hurry. That, as in my business I have tried to instill in the new workers. "Learn how to do it right before you learn how to do it fast". If you do it in reverse you have bad habits to break.