The Accurate Reloading Forums
Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/1501075311

22 July 2009, 01:47
303Guy
Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets
How many folks are shooting paper patched bullets? (Or know of someone who does?).

Take a look. (These are not mine).

This last pic is of a 100yd five shot group from a 224 cal rifle!

There is one fellow who shoots 1000yds with his black powser 45 cal rifle and puts them all in the the black!

Paper patch shooting is actually like jacketed bullet shooting in that full power loads are used. It is a paper jacket actually but it comes off at the muzzle. beer

Regards
303Guy
22 July 2009, 04:09
WESR
Does anyone know what kind of crimp die was used on these reloads? It looks like a collet crimp similar to the Lee, but definitely not a Lee.

Wes
22 July 2009, 04:18
James Kain
I would love to get started in paper patching! But I have no one really to show me.
When doing it, is there a need to still lube them for the ones with the lube grove? If I can figure how to do this, it will save me a crap ton of cash!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....
22 July 2009, 05:39
MickinColo
I have always admired people that had the time to case and paper patch bullets. I don’t have the time, I need to go fishing once and a while. Wink
22 July 2009, 09:50
303Guy
No crimping as far as I know. The patched bullet is inserted with thumb pressure only and that's it. No lubing in the conventional way. The folks just leave them dry or finger wipe wax lube on. I roll mine on my regular lube pad.

Casting takes dedicated time but patching is done while chatting on the net or watching TV or just having a beer. (No explosives involved so the worst one can do is put the patch on skew! Big Grin )

I should warn anyone contemplating taking up patching - it's addicting! Big Grin And should the outcome be dismal, one knows another trick is going to work!

Regards
303Guy
22 July 2009, 12:53
Andre Mertens
I did some experimentation, patching up .357 Mag bullets (Lyman 358429) to .366 diameter in order to make reduced charges for my 9,3x74R double rifle. With 2400/22.0, it was quite accurate at 50 m and both bbls. shot close to regulation. However, finding the correct paper quality, the right patch size and wet patching the bullets represent so much work that, having proven my point, I've since given up the practice.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
22 July 2009, 16:08
WESR
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
No crimping as far as I know. The patched bullet is inserted with thumb pressure only and that's it.

That was my understanding as well. That said, the 3rd picture clearly shows a heavy crimp. After thinking about it, it is likely just the remaining marks from a heavy crimp with the brass was originally factory loaded. Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing.

Wes
22 July 2009, 17:30
tiggertate
Sharpsguy (who posts on AR) shoots pp loads. In fact, he cleaned our collective clocks at the May Big Bore shoot with his Sharps. You might try searching the black powder forum or PM him.

I think that's left-over crimp too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.
22 July 2009, 22:52
Bear in Fairbanks
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:
I would love to get started in paper patching! But I have no one really to show me.
When doing it, is there a need to still lube them for the ones with the lube grove? If I can figure how to do this, it will save me a crap ton of cash!

When I had my .45-120 Sharps, I cast the RCBS .45 cal. paper patch bullet and used it for hunting with about 110 grs. of Fg black. No way would I shoot it with the same load of FFg.
Anyway, I never had a problem and was quite surprised at the accuracy.

James - Get a copy of "The Paper Patch" by Paul Mattews (I think). It should be available thru Cabela's. Just do a search. When I was doing it, I made a template out of aluminum and cut the patches with an Xacto knife. The paper I used was plain old letter writing paper. You want to be cognizant of the water mark. Matthews goes into all of this in his book. I'd cut a large batch of patches in front of the TV. I also made a patching "jig" so that the paper on the bullets were all the same. Sit in front of the TV, wet a patch with your tongue & place it on the rolling jig. Place the bullet on the paper & roll tight. Twist the end of the paper into the recess at the base of the bullet and you're done. Let 'em dry over night. You'd be amazed at how tight they ended up. The only other thing to be aware of is the diretion of the rolling of the patch - ie. you have to roll the bullet so the paper comes off as it goes down the barrel. Kinda tough to describe but Matthews covers that as well.
I found it an interesting process and actually enjoyed it. I got quite a few lookers at the range when I showed up with that Sharps and a box of 550 grain PP bullets. Have fun & enjoy but get the book.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

23 July 2009, 03:26
Hot Core
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
...Get a copy of "The Paper Patch" by Paul Mattews (I think). ...
Hey Bear, That is real close. Actually it is "The Paper Jacket" by Paul Matthews - have mine right here and you are correct about it being an Excellent Book.