Notify
Tools

Bunch a loaded rounds won't chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Glad you got that figured out Mike. I had a RCBS die once (7mag FWIW) that had me stumped. Turns out every time I would FL size, on the "up stroke" the expander ball would actually pull the shoulders slightly forward causing some brass to not chamber. Like you, I screwed the die in slightly, problem solved. I neck size only now with a Lee collet die, using specific brass for specific rifle.
I haven't used collet dies, but wrt neck sizing using conventional (non-collet) dies, it is still important to adjust the die properly. If you adjust it too low, you can still create a "donut" at the shoulder.

For most of my calibers, I use a neck sizing die only . . . until the case will no longer chamber. Then I FL size it, but I FL as infrequently as possible.

I've recently come to FL size my non-Lapua .223 brass because I want the option of using it in any of 3 rifles: My AR, my Stevens .223 and my LRPV (I reserve my Lapua brass for the LRPV).

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot of advise over such a simple solution...

You had it right in your first post...pull the bullets, take out you decapping pin turn out the expander ball a couple of turns, full length resize the case and put powder and bullets in...try the first couple of rounds to be sure they work is a good idea any time..

In some cases just pull the decaping pin unit out and resize..but if you do take a good look at the case and try it in your gun..I say this as there is a variation in dies these days.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Mike - one trick with the Inertia / Kinetic bullet pullet.

Just push in a piece of rubber tube or foam or polystyrene say 5 mm thick. Push it right to the bottom of the "hammer".

This will protect the lead tip of the bullet from getting deformed.

The 300 WSM is a short case and there should be plenty of room for the bullet to pop out.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Jeffesso said.

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 669 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have a collect style bullet puller that you are welcome to use:
1. Remove the bullets.
2. Pour the powder out, but save it.
3. Set your reloading die down enough that a case will chamber. First take the decapping pin out to avoid blowing a primer.
4. Refile cases with powder.
5. Reseat the bullets.
6. Do not crimp cases with your seating die.
7. I have all the magic Hornady and Sinclair tools to measure case body length.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer. I solved the problem with a body die.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if anyones mentioned this but I take the spring and connectors out to the Kenetic bullet puller and toss them in the trash..I use a proper bullet seater from my reloading press..Way much better!

Any time I load for a new rifle and my cases were shot in another I have the rifle Im loading for in the vice. I make sure the first few rounds feed...When they do not I pull the bullet, dump the powder and smoke the case neck and shoulder, back off the die several turns and run the case in, There will be a line where the neck has been resized, see if it fits, if not screw the die down a few turn and check the smoke again, try it..when it fits your chamber give it a couple of more turns and call it good, no need to mic it you can eyeball it and go by feel...I don't like snug fitting cases, Im a hunter and feed and function are priority are first and foremost, what you gain in accuracy would only be important at a benchrest rifle match..All my keeper guns shoot an inch or under. What you experienced is something that every handloaded has experienced at one time or another..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I don't know if anyones mentioned this but I take the spring and connectors out to the Kenetic bullet puller and toss them in the trash..I use a proper bullet seater from my reloading press..Way much better!

Any time I load for a new rifle and my cases were shot in another I have the rifle Im loading for in the vice. I make sure the first few rounds feed...When they do not I pull the bullet, dump the powder and smoke the case neck and shoulder, back off the die several turns and run the case in, There will be a line where the neck has been resized, see if it fits, if not screw the die down a few turn and check the smoke again, try it..when it fits your chamber give it a couple of more turns and call it good, no need to mic it you can eyeball it and go by feel...I don't like snug fitting cases, Im a hunter and feed and function are priority are first and foremost, what you gain in accuracy would only be important at a benchrest rifle match..All my keeper guns shoot an inch or under. What you experienced is something that every handloaded has experienced at one time or another..

Those are very good points.

Nowadays I only reload for a couple of .338WM rifles. If the brass is new, I still give it a pass through the full-size die, and then check the length and trim if needed.

But with fired-once or twice .338 cases, what I do is to size for the chamber the brass was fired, and bump the shoulder down around .002".

Sometime ago I used feeler gages (.002" through .008" or so placed between the die and the shellholder, one at a time) to control the bump to .002", while cycling the fired cases though the rifle as shown in the video below.

Now I use a set of Redding Competition Shellholders and Redding dies, but instead of cycling the cases through the rifle as shown in the video, I use a Redding Instant Indicator and gage that is mounted on the press (T7 press). I run the cases through the Indicator, and then bump the shoulder as needed using the Competition Shellholders.

The old way, but using feeler gages:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldtbsym650k

The new way using the Instant indicator and the shellholders (sorry, but this guy takes forever to show the procedure):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HLkOp01o64

A final note: after sizing I always check the cartridge length, and trim as needed. This is very important.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull the bullets. If there is no issue with case length then lightly lube the case with resizing wax and size it [with no expander ball] until it chambers. Wipe the case with a paper towel and pour the powder back in. Reseat the bullet and you should be good to go.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1159 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I just went through this same thing with a 7MM Rem, Mag.

I turned the die in until it wouldn't go any further with the ram up, and then another turn.

I turned the cases a couple of times in the die.

I shortened the #4 case holder by sanding it down. I shortened the die by sanding it down.

Nothing except the waste basket worked! Big Grin

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How much did you shorten the die, and shell holder? I take at least .020 off a die in the lathe; then you have room to adjust.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
How much did you shorten the die, and shell holder? I take at least .020 off a die in the lathe; then you have room to adjust.

Didn't measure then, and can't now. Its gone. clap

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Full length resized hence why I think I didn't adjust down far enough..."

I would never fuss around with neck sizing or partial sizing for hunting ammo. The die will produce SAAMI spec brass run down hard against the shell holder. No theoretical gain in accuracy is worth having a jammed rifle on a hunting trip. Brass reloading life is not important. You need it to feed and function 100% as a primary criteria.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scota4570:

I would never fuss around with neck sizing or partial sizing for hunting ammo. The die will produce SAAMI spec brass run down hard against the shell holder. No theoretical gain in accuracy is worth having a jammed rifle on a hunting trip. Brass reloading life is not important. You need it to feed and function 100% as a primary criteria.

I concur. Ammo that doesnt feed is a PITA. Especially at hunting camp. FL sizing and cases trimmed is gud!

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

I concur. Ammo that doesnt feed is a PITA. Especially at hunting camp. FL sizing and cases trimmed is gud!

Don't you run every loaded round through your rifle before going hunting no matter what procedure you used during reloading? Doesn't matter if it was necksized, PFL sized or FL sized, evrry round is fed through the mag and chambered before it goes in my kit.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmailer: . . .Don't you run every loaded round through your rifle before going hunting no matter what procedure you used during reloading? Doesn't matter if it was necksized, PFL sized or FL sized, evrry round is fed through the mag and chambered before it goes in my kit.
Yup! If the question is: "Will this round chamber?" this is the only fool-proof test.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
quote:
quote:

Don't you run every loaded round through your rifle before going hunting no matter what procedure you used during reloading? Doesn't matter if it was necksized, PFL sized or FL sized, evrry round is fed through the mag and chambered before it goes in my kit.

It would be safer and just as expedient to run the cases through your rifle before priming or adding powder and seating bullets. Hopefully you have a seated dummy round to make sure that your seating die is set properly. After you charge your powder and BEFORE you seat bullets look into each case to make sure that they all have about the same amount of powder in them.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1159 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
quote:
quote:

I used to. Now it depends on the rifle. I always fl size and trim, so I very seldom have feeding issues. But I do have a BLR with a VERY tight chamber, that one I check every round for. I really dont care for cycling live rounds through the chamber at home though.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
don't shorten the die, shorten the bullet seater, dies are expensive bullet seaters are not..you shorten the die and its ruined for any other rifle of the same caliber.

If the bullet seater doesn't solve the problem and then die but more likely the rifle needs repair, send it back to the die maker, if you must but first you might should take a chamber cast of your rifle it probably needs the chamber recut..

Dies can be off but never enough that seater won't fix the problem. If so its the gun.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120