Find
Notify
Tools

Mailing/shipping powder and primers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I have about 20 pounds of smokeless powder and several(5?) thousand primers down in the lower 48 that I would like to mail to myself up here in Alaska.

I am wondering: can a private individual ship hasmat items such as smokeless powder and primers? I know that it has to be shipped in a special double walled box that is rated for such hasmat items and had to me marked as such.

I guess my real question is: will UPS or Fed-Ex accept properly packaged and marked hasmat(powder and primers) from a private individual?

I seem to remember that the shipper was required to be "hasmat certified" or something like that.

If anyone has knowledge of the rules I would sure appreciate your insight.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
FEDEX may but the cost is very high; probably more than 20 pounds of powder is worth. The ORMD forms and regualtions, packing, pre approval, etc., and it has to fly overnight express as no ground to AK. I sent some shotshells with an old English double and it was hundreds of dollars for a few boxes of shells. You may want to try a barge or if you know of a mate who is driving up but I don't know the limits the Canada gov't puts on powder and primer quantity.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Powder is not an ORM-D item (ammo is); it is a flammable solid. Fed Ex, or UPS will not ship ammo to Alaska; powder and primers are hazardous materials; no go to Alaska. They classify black and smokeless powder together, which proves they don't know what they are doing.
I inherited ammo and powder about ten years ago from a friend who moved to Alaska; he left behind about 100 pounds of it; to me. Not worth moving.
FedEx Fact: Cartridges, small arms or Cartridges, power device ORM-D or Limited Quantity materials are prohibited to/from/within Alaska, Hawaii, or Canada. Hazardous materials, including ORM-D and Limited Quantity materials, cannot be shipped to Alaska or Hawaii.
So, maybe you have to ferry it up or something.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "sold" an 8 pound keg of rifle powder to a guy in another State and assumed I'd just waltz down and pay for shipping and associated fee.

NOT SO!

Powder can only be packaged and shipped from an Hazmat shipper. I called a dozen approved shippers but they wouldn't mess with a little shipment. They only wanted to talk about the truck load size shipments.
I refunded his money and kept the powder.

Maybe you'll have better luck!

Zeke

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Fed Ex, or UPS will not ship ammo to Alaska; powder and primers are hazardous materials; no go to Alaska.

Not worth moving.

FedEx Fact: Cartridges, small arms or Cartridges, power device ORM-D or Limited Quantity materials are prohibited to/from/within Alaska, Hawaii, or Canada. Hazardous materials, including ORM-D and Limited Quantity materials, cannot be shipped to Alaska or Hawaii.

I apperciate all the info guys. dpcd, I agree that it is not worth trying to get it up here. Once I figure out when I will be visiting Wyoming I'll advertised a face to face sale and make a great deal for someone in the SW Wyoming-SLC area.

I do have to dissagree with the above statement about Fed-Ex and UPS not shipping powder and primers to Alaska. I just looked into getting stuff from Natchez, Graf's and Powder Valley. Natchez won't ship powder and primers to Alaska but one of the other two will and they quoted me $90 hazmat and $95 shipping to get it up here to Alaska.

I found that it is possible/faster/better to order from retailers here in the state and have them ship it via one of our air cargo carrires.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The information is verbatim from their web sites. Not from me.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
dcpd,
Maybe they are using UPS?

I apperciate the info. You, along with the others, have convinced me that I am better off making someone a hot deal on the powder and primers that I have instead of shipping it.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get in touch with my friendly FFL dealer and he can ship it for you. You have to pay the Hazmat with powder and probably the primers also and shipped in different boxes..I never sent that much, it would be bloody expensive..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just looked into this. Powder and primers are a different classification than ammo. You need to be a certified hazmat shipper. This is a DOT thing not an ATF/FFL thing. You can take the class from the carriers. The big mail order houses are obviously certified but it is very unlikely that an individual FFL would be. It is a major endeavor. Not worth the trash unless you are a volume commercial seller

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True, powder + primers are NOT the same as loaded ammo. Ray, you are correct that both have to be shipped separately with the separate hazmat fee. Kinda gets one in the shorts, doesn't it? especially when you as an individual can only own 50 lbs of powder by law + one doesn't start to get a freight break until in that realm. Devil + the deep blue sea.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The world has changed! I brought my powder and primers to AK either by the Ferry (one trip) or drive through Canada.

The cost for the Ferry went up a lot after my trip and with the troubles now I don't know if that will work.

We made several trips through Canada. Per person was 5000 primers and 17# (plus) of smokeless powder. They allowed 5000 pieces of brass and that could be primed. You could get a permit that allowed you to bring more. The powder weight is a metric weight converted to 17 something pounds.

Canada allows for 5000 rounds of ammo as well. Most of ours flew up with us over several years on Alaska Air at 50# a trip.

If you have powder and or ammo Canada wants to know where the guns are. You either need a form filled out for the guns or a good story to tell them. They treated us very well on every trip.

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
... Kinda gets one in the shorts, doesn't it? especially when you as an individual can only own 50 lbs of powder by law ...

Huh? What US law is that? The only restriction I am aware of, and that changes according to the fire department is the amount of powder, just in containers, in a residence. Here, if over 25 pounds it has to be secured in a wood box over an inch thick. Or you can put as much as you want in a garden shed which does not count as residence.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
True, powder + primers are NOT the same as loaded ammo. Ray, you are correct that both have to be shipped separately with the separate hazmat fee. Kinda gets one in the shorts, doesn't it? especially when you as an individual can only own 50 lbs of powder by law + one doesn't start to get a freight break until in that realm. Devil + the deep blue sea.

Glad I don't live where you do! tu2 Roll Eyes

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC:
The world has changed! I brought my powder and primers to AK either by the Ferry (one trip) or drive through Canada.

The cost for the Ferry went up a lot after my trip and with the troubles now I don't know if that will work.

We made several trips through Canada. Per person was 5000 primers and 17# (plus) of smokeless powder. They allowed 5000 pieces of brass and that could be primed. You could get a permit that allowed you to bring more. The powder weight is a metric weight converted to 17 something pounds.

Canada allows for 5000 rounds of ammo as well. Most of ours flew up with us over several years on Alaska Air at 50# a trip.

If you have powder and or ammo Canada wants to know where the guns are. You either need a form filled out for the guns or a good story to tell them. They treated us very well on every trip.

Thank you LeonardC. That was a lot of good info and it gives me a ton to think about. The powder and primers are really not enough to worry about, but seeing as I might be relocating and/or driving a vehicle up the Alcan at some point in the near future maybe I'll just let my stuff sit and plan to bring it up then.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mailed (flat rate) all my magazines and loose bullets. Same with bulk lead. Canada asked about mags on one trip. We only brought rifles and shotguns on one trip and were 100% sure they would be allowed. I think there were only 12 spots for guns on the form. We had 13 so I filled out 2 forms, one for me and one for the Wife. Canada combined both forms and only charged us for one form.

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote