New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Hagel's 7 X 57 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In his Book, Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter, Bob Hagel lists some loads for the 7 X 57 that seem aggressive when compared to loads in any of my reloading manuals. For example, from a Ruger 77 with a 22" barrel using WW brass...

With a 139 grain Hornady with 57 grains of N205 he reports MV of 3014 fps.

Same bullet with 55 grains of N204 he reports an MV of 2981 fps.

With a 150 grain Nosler Partition with 54 grains of N204 he reports a MV of 2939 fps.

I used some of Hagel's loading information when developing a load for my 7mm RM years ago and my rifle digests them with no issues. This load uses WW brass, WLRM primer, 160 grn. Nosler Partition, and 80 grains of H870 for a reported velocity of 3134 fps from a 24" barrel.

I would like to believe that the 7 X 57 data he shows is safely achievable in my Model 70 rifle.

Anyone here try any of these aggressive loads? Comments?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been working up some loads for several rifles. I have been able to find and reference Quick Load for data, for all three rifles I have been loading for. Quick Load will give you a by cartridge,powder(s),bullet, reference on pressures , showing loads from mild to over max, I always cross reference to a published loading book like the one by Nosler. Maybe some one here can run one for you. They should be able to run it for your specific powders and bullets.

Posts: 655 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom Mauser in 7x57 AI. With "aggressive" loads using H4350 and 139 Hornadys I safely get MVs in the low 3000 fps neighborhood. PM me for charge weights/details if you want.

As far as Hagel's loads in your rifle, there's only one way to find out.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alec,

First thing to remember is that loading manuals stay within SAMMI specs for the most part. The pressure for 7x57 is kept low in deference to all the old guns of questionable strength many of which are still around. Some of my earliest handloading experiments were with a variety of 7x57s from stock military configuration 93 Mausers to A BSA CF2 with 24" barrel before a decent method of record keeping was devised & a chronograph was purchased. They were fun but... every rifle has it's own quirks, idiosyncrasies, & most importantly limits. The only 7x57 shooter that's left here is an older Ruger 77 with 22" barrel.

I have Hagel's books & haven't quite got to his 53 gr of IMR4350 with 140s yet. A bit less has given me 2866fps in WW brass & 2942fps in PPU brass. Those are instrumental at 10' from the muzzle. Add c.25fps for MV. The above loads, while over book max, were well under max for a modern bolt action rifle, wonderfully accurate, & there's no need to push that combination much farther for an extra 100-150 fps. The case wont hold much more of that powder anyway. I've recently worked up to 49 gr of IMR4451 @ 2747fps & 49 gr of RL17 @ 2828fps. Both powders should have room to increase, maybe substantially. Cooler weather is coming.

With 150s I could swear that I've tried RL19 & RL22, but cant find the results. These powders are not quite the same as N204 & N205 (MRP) respectively, but for a time when they 1st came out there was speculation that they were merely different lots of these powders. Wishing I could find the data, but it's not here. In my opinion 140s & the 7x57 were made for each other. I have a 280 Rem. for 150s.

Anyway... If you feel experimental, start low & carefully work up. The journey can be more rewarding than the destination. We both might be surprised what the old warhorse can do with modern powders in a strong rifle.

Posts: 41 | Location: VA | Registered: 06 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your data and comments. Much appreciated.

This rifle is new to me and, while I load for other similar cartridges, the 7 X 57 is not a cartridge I have loaded for in the past.

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can get Hagels loads with H414, ww-760 and CFE-223 and lately RL-19

7x57 AND 8X57 are terribly underloaded in all the loading books because of the number of Mauser 96 and 95s and droplocking ss rifle junk out there..

A proper 7x57 in a good Mauser98, Ruger 77 or Win.mod 70 rifle can handle the same pressure as the 270 or 30-06 and that's upwards to 60,000 PSI or more..My elk load in my 7x57 is and has been for years is the 175 gr. Nosler partition at 2734 fps duplicating the 30-06 with a good handload but short 5 grs. but has better SD and better penetration than my 30-06..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ray.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hagel's loads in both a Ruger M77 and #1A. I was able to use his loads but they were maximum, so I recommend working up to them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
I have used Hagel's loads in both a Ruger M77 and #1A. I was able to use his loads but they were maximum, so I recommend working up to them.

Thank you, Dale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember one article he had published on the 7x57 he used a ruger 77 with an extremely long throat. Loads were well beyond published maximums.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a good practice with the 7x57 and 8x57 to have the long throated chamber and a 30-06 magazine box. Its as effective as the 257 Ackley, 280 Rem, etc...and usually very accurate..I set up my barrels and magazine with a 160 gr. Barnes X seated .284 (one caliber) into the case..I shoot those guns at 60,000 PSI, sometimes more depending on the gun, same as I would a .270 for instance..

But the beauty of the 7x57, loaded mild for kids, wives, old guys, is that same bullet loaded to 50,000 PSI is a sure killer on elk,bear and Moose, most African plainsgame and my whitetail deer load is one of those milder loads..An extremely versatile caliber.

Even when loaded to 40,000 PSI factory 175 gr. SP Rem Corelokt bullet at very low velocity its a very good killer of deer and elk..and recoil is nil..My daughters elk and deer load.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote