New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 load question
 Login/Join

<Matt Quigley>
posted
I am just starting out reloading. For background I am shooting a Savage 12VSS that will group .257 with Federal Premier in 55gr.
The 12VSS has a 26" 1-12 twist Stainless barrel.

I have begun reloading 55gr Speer Spitzers with 38gr of H380 powder w/ CCI Magnum primers as recommended in Volume 13 of the Speer Reloading manual.

Any suggestions, tips or cautions from more experienced reloaders?

------------------
Shoot straight, group tight!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had inconsistancies with H-380, although others swear by it. My most reliable loads with .22-250 have been with 35.5 grains of H4895 and a 55 grain bullet. IMR 4064 and VV135 are also good performers. If you like sperical powders, you might find H-414 superior to H380.

With the .22-250, you're aready getting 300 to 400 FPS more than with a .223, so my advice is don't trade extra velocity for less accuracy.

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 06-22-2001).]

Posts: 13216 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt: I would have to agree completely with Stonecreek. I have tried about every feasible powder in the 22-250 and keep coming back to H 4895.

A load of 35.5 grains of H 4895 behind a 55 grain spitzer is a classic 22-250 load that has worked well in a number of rifles that I have tested. I would suggest you try this combination for sure.

The next BIG variable is of course the bullets you might try. Your gun may like the Speers, or it might do better with Sierra's or Hornady's or Nosler's. You will just have to experiment here. It sounds like you will be hard pressed to beat the accuracy you are getting with the factory loadings.

The other experiment that I would suggest is that when you think you have your load all ironed out, you try different primers. I have two identical Remington 700VS rifles chambered for the 22-250 cartridge. One of them clearly shoots better groups with Federal 210M primers while the second shoots its best groups with Winchester WLR primers.
(Go figure)

Since you sound like you are just getting started in reloading, I will not bore you with all the case preparations that I go through. I will say that down the road you will probably want to investigate things like case trimming, primer pocket uniforming, primer flash hole deburring, etc. And for sure, DO NOT mix brands of cases both for accuracy and for safety sake.
I don't have a preference in brands, just do not mix them. The case capacity on Remington and Winchester are different for sure!

Sounds like you have a very accurate rifle, you will have fun with that one.

Good Luck, R FLowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
Try Hodgdon Benchmark, light it up with CCI Benchrest Large Rifle primers, and any good 50 grain bullet. Works for me. Get a necksize die, this will also help.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 35.5gr H4895 rem or CCI primers and the 55gr ballistic tip or Hornady V-Max. This combo has worked well in three 22-250 rifles.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the powder you're trying, but I've had a bit better results with IMR4064. I'm working now with Varget and it seems to have some great qualities for temperature tolerance.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BOB,

I am the same as you, I used IMR4064 and have just began trying VARGET and I very much like the results that I'm getting with the VARGET. I also like how well it meters in the Dillon 650 which was the reason for the change in the first place.

Posts: 25 | Location: Tulia, Texas USA | Registered: 28 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the best results with IMR 4064 and 52 grain Berger Match bullets. Had very poor results with H380 and Winchester Ball. Also had good performance with IMR 3031. Best, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote