New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR Red vs Red Dot weight by volume.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been helping a friend load 45 Colt, using Red Dot. He bought me a lb of IMR Red.

How does it compare to red dot regarding weight in volume? I usually don't weigh each charge for pistol, just a volume meter. Alas, RED, is not on my data sheet.

Thanks.

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Hodgdon and ask themn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR Red was made to be a volume for volume equivalent to Red Dot, not by weight. Red Dot is slightly fluffier, less bulk density, than IMR Red, so the same weight of Red Dot should produce more energy than IMR Red.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO.
they thought they made it that way, but once again someone screwed the pooch on the execution part of the plan.

for home use you use the same weight of red as red-dot,,, not the same volume.
same as using promo powder in place of red-dot.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lamar, have you tested this and know it for fact? I've only used Red Dot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah.
both with red and promo.
I was shooting the last of the red and some red-dot just last night.
they both chronoed within about 10-15 fps. of each other in the [in two different cases] trap loads I was using them in.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried to call them, they are closed Friday. I broke out my Ohaus scales and they both weigh the same by volume. So I can use either or with my volume powder dispenser.

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote