THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    troubleshooting excessive bullet run-out from seating

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

troubleshooting excessive bullet run-out from seating
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for suggestions here: I'm getting additional .005" bullet run-out from the seating process. Checking run-out with a Sinclair concentricty gauge. Using new cases that have .001-2" neck runout prior to bullet seating. Using a Forster Bonanza bench rest seating die. Inside of necks have been chamfered prior to seating. Using Sierra bullets. thanks.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How do they shoot? After all, what you want is for them to perform like you want; the goal is not making ammo.
What caliber? Bench rest? Or moose hunting.
Some turn the cases half turn when seating; I did that once but it didn't help. The ammo shot great either way.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the bullet seater plug does not fit the bullet shape it is possible the bullet will tilt when seated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
How do they shoot? After all, what you want is for them to perform like you want; the goal is not making ammo.
What caliber? Bench rest? Or moose hunting.
Some turn the cases half turn when seating; I did that once but it didn't help. The ammo shot great either way.
This ^^^^^^

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For hunting ammo the amount of runout you're getting should not be an issue. If you're shooting benchrest or some equivalent discipline I can't comment as I don't indulge.
In handloading my hunting ammo I now seat exclusively with Redding Micrometer Competition Dies. Compared to what I used previously it improved things well, especially with higher BC bullets at higher velocities it seems to me. Sounds like you're using something similar. The Redding dies worked so well for the few calibres I shoot that I no longer bother checking ammo with a Concentricity Gauge.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sometimes it's the press.
we get all these fancy straight tools that cost all kinds of money and screw them down tight in a crooked press.

Lee is successful because all of their stuff has slop in it.
that slop allows the bullet to find the center of the case.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lamar
posted 14 May 2020 14:12
sometimes it's the press.
we get all these fancy straight tools that cost all kinds of money and screw them down tight in a crooked press.

Lee is successful because all of their stuff has slop in it.
that slop allows the bullet to find the center of the case.

For years I used an RCBS Jnr 3 press. I started my handloading with this press and used it until I acquired my .375 H&H and wanted to handload for this cartridge too. Working space in the RCBS Jnr 3 is insufficient for the long .375 H&H case so I needed to upgrade. I went with the Redding Big Boss 2 which is larger and just beefier all round. It take less force to run cases through resizing dies too. The most accurate hunting ammo I have produced for all calibres I shoot has come from use of this Redding press and Redding dies.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote